open preview of video files?

Reaction score
I just started over from the beginning with my computer. I can not remember what codec I used to get my video files to look like the one in the pic below. When you scroll over them you can press play and they will play without opening up them in full. Can you help?
Screen shot 2013-02-01 at 3.30.54 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just started over from the beginning with my computer. I can not remember what codec I used to get my video files to look like the one in the pic below. When you scroll over them you can press play and they will play without opening up them in full. Can you help?

There is no codec needed. OS X supports mp4 files natively. What you need to do is turn on icon preview in Finder. To do so, select Finder, then go to the menu option View, then Show View Options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Just select the video file and press the Spacebar. Quicklook will play the video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.