Connecting to Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, Mac Mini & iMac
Please help. I am completely new to Mac OS X and we are now testing Macs as an alternative to Windows Vista Laptops and Desktops (especially as Vista is totally unreliable in ANY environment!).

As we are a construction company, pretty much everything needs to be automated, which means I need to set up document redirection to our File Server, Mapped Network Drives to automatically connect to the servers when the Mac is switched on and also automatic login to our Intranet Sites (using Sharepoint Portal 3.0).

I have tried, initially, running Kerberos Authentication on a test machine to connect to the server, but this seems to work inefficiently, and most of the time it doesn't use kerberos to sign in and attempts to use the local account - fails- then prompts for username and password (leading me to believe that the Mac Kerberos Updates provide little more than an egg timer in the taskbar counting down for the expiry of the ticket!).

I am unsure how to map the network drives so they automatically connect on starting. Can anyone help with this? I have a very limited budget so I need to use work-arounds for this rather than throwing money at the problem.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, Mac Mini & iMac
I have now solved this problem.

To get the MacBook to bind to the Domain I had to activate everything 'Mac' related in the Add / Remove Windows Components Menu (everything needed is under 'Other Network Components') - Once I managed to get the system to Bind to Active Directory, all the folders and shared resources became available.

Creating Shared Folders was also easier once this was done as I placed links into the User Home Folder.

Mac OS X Leopard is now running slowly on the domain, but I am guessing this is to do with Kerberos Password Authentication having to run across the network, unlike windows which caches the authentication periodically (I am sure there is a solution or work around for this also!)

Reaction score
Dear pdm8875,

We have a Microsoft File Server on site, and I connect to it just fine to access my personal shared files, however, it would be nice to automate rather than having to mount each folder every login. Any ideas? Is there a script that can be written, or perhaps Automator can help me out.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Blessings,
John J.

I have now solved this problem.

To get the MacBook to bind to the Domain I had to activate everything 'Mac' related in the Add / Remove Windows Components Menu (everything needed is under 'Other Network Components') - Once I managed to get the system to Bind to Active Directory, all the folders and shared resources became available.

Creating Shared Folders was also easier once this was done as I placed links into the User Home Folder.

Mac OS X Leopard is now running slowly on the domain, but I am guessing this is to do with Kerberos Password Authentication having to run across the network, unlike windows which caches the authentication periodically (I am sure there is a solution or work around for this also!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.