Transfer Windows to Mac

Reaction score
I bought an IPod classic in October 2007. I registered it with Windows XP and loaded on my entire music collection.

I have since moved cities, taking my ipod but leaving behind my Windows computer.

I am going to purchase a macbook. I would like to copy my music library from my ipod to my new macbook, and reformat my ipod to work with the Mac instead of Windows.

Could someone let me know the best way to do this?

Reaction score
Hey Vleggate

From reading round the M-F on this topic, senuti comes highly recommended. I'm in the same position as you, windows formatted iPod moving to Mac without any backups/cds or anything. I haven't tried senuti as yet, I'm nervous about doing so incase I delete everything.

The sticky'd post in this thread should answer your questions though.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 512mb RAM 250GB hard drive
I did do this about a year ago now. First off you will not regret this decision to move all of your library to a mac because things just seem to work so much more seamlessly. Second I really suggest you invest in a back-up media before you do this. You really should have a back-up hard drive regardless, just as an itunes user who values your media library. Third I didn't use any type of third party application, I just used the instructions found on Apples support site. Like I mentioned I used an external hard drive and the only problem I ran into was loosing play lists, song play counts, and just subtle settings that I had grown accustomed to. They do give instructions on how to transfer the xml files that contains all of this info but it just wasn't clear enough for me. I did however manage to keep all of my audio files in tact without losing even one mp3. But I would make sure you jot down and keep track of the numbers of songs, movies, tv shows and videos you currently have to make sure the numbers mirror the finished product on your destination computer. Also I would just write down certain settings that you currently prefer so that if you lose those in the transfer you have a reference sheet to look at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Take a look at my sig, dude :D it worked for me! :)

Reaction score
I bought an IPod classic in October 2007. I registered it with Windows XP and loaded on my entire music collection.

I have since moved cities, taking my ipod but leaving behind my Windows computer.

I am going to purchase a macbook. I would like to copy my music library from my ipod to my new macbook, and reformat my ipod to work with the Mac instead of Windows.

Could someone let me know the best way to do this?

Use Senuti.

It's an application that transfers stuff from an iPod to a Mac. I used that when I got my new iMac, and it worked beautifully. Oh, and it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You do not NEED to reformat the iPod, the Mac should work fine with the Windows formatted iPod.

As for Apps, I would recommend iPod Access myself, but that is just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
You do not NEED to reformat the iPod, the Mac should work fine with the Windows formatted iPod.

As for Apps, I would recommend iPod Access myself, but that is just me.

I need some help. When I plug my Windows iPod into my MBP, nothing happens. The iPod reads the "Do not disconnect", but that is it. The Mac does not show that anything is plugged in. What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
anybody? please

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.