Help needed.. Icon folders gone!!

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday i shut down my MacBook Pro(mid 2011) and went to bed.
This morning when i opened it again, it couldn't start. It just kept loading with that spinning gear and showing the grey apple-logo. I shut it down and opened in safe mode.. It worked and i could reboot. Now my computer works, but i lost all my icon folders. I can see the text, the names of the folders, but there is no image/icon. It's very annoying and i have searched the internet for hours and hours. I can't find an answer to it, so i hope that you can help me!

Kind regards

Oscar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm not sure what is causing it to not start up normally.

If you get that fixed, for the icon issue, I would start here:
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
and move this file: com.apple.FolderActions.plist
to your Desktop.

Now, restart the computer.
It will make a new file in the same location as above, set to default values.

Did that help?

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is causing it to not start up normally.

If you get that fixed, for the icon issue, I would start here:
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
and move this file: com.apple.FolderActions.plist
to your Desktop.

Now, restart the computer.
It will make a new file in the same location as above, set to default values.

Did that help?

Thanks for the respond.

On my computer i can only find preferences as following: Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences.. Theres all those com.apple.xxxx.whatever-files, but there is no filed with that specific name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't follow the path I gave. Look closely. I don't know the name of YourUserName folder, but you do.

Reaction score
Are you running Lion? If so, press Option and select the Go menu to get to your Library folder.

OP
O
Reaction score
Yes i am running Lion.

I tried to follow that path, but there is no folder located in YourUserName called Library. In my YourUserName-folder i have the following folders: Applications, Pictures, Movies, Music, Transitions, Websites, Public, Desktop and Documents.. maybe some of the names are different from yours. I am running Danish on my computer, so i just translated the words.

Cradom, i'm not sure what you mean? When i press the option key, where should i click? Because the option key itself, doesn't open anything?!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open Finder
press and hold Option
go to the menu bar - click on Go
you will now see your Library folder - click it
you can now let go of Option

OP
O
Reaction score
Ok, good instructions bobtomey.

I have now located the file, moved it to my desktop and restarted. It didn't work :(

Any other suggestions?

And should i put the file back in the folder, or just delete it?(FolderAction.....-file on my desktop)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes i am running Lion.

I tried to follow that path, but there is no folder located in YourUserName called Library.

Yeah, there is. It's just hidden in Lion. Bob's instructions are what you needed. What he needed was which OS you have. That's always important to include with your initial question.

OP
O
Reaction score
Yeah, there is. It's just hidden in Lion. Bob's instructions are what you needed. What he needed was which OS you have. That's always important to include with your initial question.

Yes, my bad.

But do you have an answer to my problem? :)

Reaction score
Help! How to change an html from "read only"

Help! Couldn't find where to start a new thread, so I'll post this here and see if I get a response. I'm not used to this place, and may not find this location again, so I'd love an answer into my inbox. Thanks. gemsandbeyond at aol dot com.

How do I convert a "read only" html (or anything "read only") into a regular web usable format?

Thanks!
gemsandbeyond at aol dot com. Please reply here. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday i shut down my MacBook Pro(mid 2011) and went to bed.
This morning when i opened it again, it couldn't start. It just kept loading with that spinning gear and showing the grey apple-logo. I shut it down and opened in safe mode.. It worked and i could reboot. Now my computer works, but i lost all my icon folders. I can see the text, the names of the folders, but there is no image/icon. It's very annoying and i have searched the internet for hours and hours. I can't find an answer to it, so i hope that you can help me!

Kind regards

Oscar

I had the same problem the other day with Snow Leopard. I could see the text for the folders but not the icons. I booted to my install disk and did a disk repair and permission repair. The folders returned. I do not know how they implement disk repair in Lion since they didn't ship it with a disk, but a disk repair and permission repair worked for my machine.

Good luck

OP
O
Reaction score
I had the same problem the other day with Snow Leopard. I could see the text for the folders but not the icons. I booted to my install disk and did a disk repair and permission repair. The folders returned. I do not know how they implement disk repair in Lion since they didn't ship it with a disk, but a disk repair and permission repair worked for my machine.

Good luck

I have already tried that, but I will try again.

Thanks anyway

Oscar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or..?

The PROBLEM is that i am missing icons on all my folders.. do you have a solution to this?

I'm sorry. I thought Bob had led you to the solution on the icons, and that you were asking about the other problem, for which I already had said I didn't know what to do. Posts are required to be a minimum of 5 characters, and quotes don't count. I didn't have anything to add to the quotes.

I read your posts again, and saw what I missed. So, the plist thing didn't work for your icons. The next thing to try would be logging into a different user account. If you don't have another one, make one.

OP
O
Reaction score
I couldn't find a way to recover my icons, so i rebooted.. problem solved - thanks for the help though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.