Anyway to get 3G without signing contract?

Reaction score
I'd really like to get a 3G when it comes out but I don't want to sign with AT&T. Speculation says they wont let you leave the store without signing up with them, so would there be anyway to not signup? I'd just like to jailbreak it and run it on Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For starters, even if you managed to get your hands on a 3G iPhone, you would be physically incapable of using it on Verizon's network. AT&T uses something called GSM whereas Verizon uses CDMA. These are inherently incompatible networks, so you can't take phones that work on one service and use it on the other.

In the US, the only provider you would be able to use an unlocked iPhone on would be TMobile, which is actually a step down from AT&T.

Oh, and eBay is the answer you're looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
Easy way to get the new iphone with no contract:

1) Get £100 ($200) cash
2) Go to apple/02/ATT store
3) Say 'can i have an iphone'
4) Grab it off guy
5) Slam money Down
6) Leg it! (run)

its a thought, itd be funny to try!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two flaws in your plan. One, you can only buy an iPhone with a credit card. Two, you didn't factor in the tax. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
That's a point. This is probably the first time in history we're getting an Apple product cheaper than you guys.

£99 (including all taxes)
18 months @ £30 (including unlimited data & nationwide wi-fi points)

So it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to run (unless you make a lot of calls; I'm betting call prices here are about 3x what they are stateside). The cheapest (or maybe £35) plan would do for me though.

And it's available on pre-pay (no word yet as to handset price, but my bet is about £275-£330).

Serves you right for complaining about your 53p a litre petrol. Petrol hasn't been that cheap here in 18 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
Two flaws in your plan. One, you can only buy an iPhone with a credit card. Two, you didn't factor in the tax. :p

I don't think it matters if you pay with cash if you do a runner.

I didn't know that it was $199 excluding tax...unlucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Serves you right for complaining about your 53p a litre petrol. Petrol hasn't been that cheap here in 18 years.

But you guys don't have nearly the distances that we drive over here. I mean all of GB is the size of our New England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
But you guys don't have nearly the distances that we drive over here. I mean all of GB is the size of our New England.

It's not as if people have to drive any more though is it? It's not like you have to drive 200 miles to get to the nearest supermarket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not as if people have to drive any more though is it? It's not like you have to drive 200 miles to get to the nearest supermarket.

Your supermarket may be down the block. It's driving distance for us here. Those small 2-5 mile trips add up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Short of running out of the store with, I highly doubt you will be able to buy one without signing the contract. You could break the contract and pay the early termination fee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Yes, buy the phone and sign up then when they say you are good to go look at them and tell them you would now like to cancel your service and pay the early termination fee (something like $175).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh, it wouldn't work that way. I would suspect they will hold you to the 14 day policy so you'll at least be paying for the first month of service as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
"Uh it won't work that way" he says with certainty. "I suspect" he follows up with. I see. Which is it. Are you sure or not?

Even if you do pay for the first month just sign up for the minimal package and no data plan (you don't actually have to have the data plan). And you will end up paying something like $40.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nobody likes a smart mouth.

Reaction score
"Uh it won't work that way" he says with certainty. "I suspect" he follows up with. I see. Which is it. Are you sure or not?

Even if you do pay for the first month just sign up for the minimal package and no data plan (you don't actually have to have the data plan). And you will end up paying something like $40.

iPhones require the data plan. No way around it.

you would be looking at these cost to cancel your contract. Plus they could make you give the phone back.

$199 for the phone
$69 + tax, charges and other junk for first months usage
$175 cancellation fee

this comes out to $443, then you need to add tax onto the cost of the phone and your bill. also depending on when you cancel your plan you may have to pay a prorated cost for the next month.

http://gizmodo.com/5015540/iphone-3gs-true-price-compared

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.