15 Reasons to Consider Purchasing an iPad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I think the price is ok.. but to be honest, should be cheaper by at least $100.

I totally agree, I'm willing to bet within a couple of months they will lower the price.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I totally agree, I'm willing to bet within a couple of months they will lower the price.

It will probably have to be at least 6 months...since it's going to be 60-90 days before they are available for purchase.:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For typical home usage I do agree the iPad will blow down the Netbook though. Real deal breaker right now is NO MULTITASKING! I can't play music while I am surfing? I hope that gets changed very fast.

If it's running the iPhone/iPod touch OS, then there will be limited multitasking. The Apple apps like Mail and iPod will run in the background while you do other things but third party apps will not. So you will most definitely be able to listen to your music while browsing the web, you just won't be able to listen to music from Pandora.

Reaction score
Yeah, i really dont think the iPad is that huge. i just think that typing on a completely flat surface which is ALSO the screen, is just bad for your neck and back, and is bound to get pretty irritating soon.
and no camera? ***. wow apple...
and its not a phone. not technically anyways.
and it would be even MORE useful if you could actually write on it, with a special iPad pen or something, and that when you write, it converts your writing into text so that you dont even have to type. THAT would be even better.
anyways, the iPad is not that big a deal. so its on a flat surface. yaaay?

OH, and no multitasking makes one more reason to not think this is the BEST. THING.EVER. OMG.
:|

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
and no camera? ***. wow apple...
I may very well be in the minority here (and I'll accept that) but I couldn't care less if a device like this came with a camera. If it increased the cost, it definitely wouldn't be worth it. That said, I can see one benefiting from one if you wanted to video chat.
and its not a phone. not technically anyways.
Not just "not technically", not at all.
and it would be even MORE useful if you could actually write on it, with a special iPad pen or something, and that when you write, it converts your writing into text so that you dont even have to type. THAT would be even better.
There is nothing from stopping anyone from doing this in the future. Although, in my experience, I would spend more time correcting handwriting recognition software. To be fair though, that was back with a Palm OS device.

C

chas_m

A netbook gives me USB ports

So does the iPad (as a dongle).

a Wired RJ-45 Network port.

With 3G, Wifi and Bluetooth, why would you need this?

I
So that is one use for a netbook that I can not use an iPad for.

As demonstrated above, you are wrong.

Which is not to say that you don't have a perfectly acceptable setup right now, just pointing out a factual error.

Real deal breaker right now is NO MULTITASKING!

Yeah, lack of multitasking has really killed sales for the iPod Touch and the iPhone ...

Oh wait, that's not true at all! In fact, the iPod Touch is Apple's single best-selling product! So again, you are wrong.

I can't play music while I am surfing?

Do not know where you got that from. The iPad is an iPod as well, and thus it can play music in the background while other apps are run -- exactly like the iPhone and the iPod Touch.

If this were baseball, you'd be up to three strikes.

I guess we won't know the answer to this question till people get their hands on the iPad but I wonder how you get a textFile, Doc or whatever to the device?

You could:
a. email it
b. transfer it via Bluetooth
c. With a USB dongle, you could use a flash drive or direct connection
d. Sync it.
e. Put it on an iDisk or other cloud storage
f. Transfer it via Wifi
g. With the help of a third-party app that already exists for the iPhone, you could transfer it via 3G
h. With the help of a third-party app that already exists for the iPhone, you could simply store it on your iPad.

Sorry, that's just off the top of my head. Give me a day and I think I could make it to at least "m".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future iPad owner
For typical home usage I do agree the iPad will blow down the Netbook though. Real deal breaker right now is NO MULTITASKING! I can't play music while I am surfing? I hope that gets changed very fast.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm. What?

I'm listening to music as I type this message and browse this site on my iPhone. The iPad will do it too.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry chas_m, I am far from wrong for the uses I need a portable device for. I outlined what I use a Netbook for. You say I do not need an RJ-45 port for setting up a messed up router with WiFi disabled on a network call. Do you really know networking?

True, the iPad might not be designed to do what I do on a Netbook on a service call, but I was saying it would be nice if it did.

And you say music, from itunes but not some other source. So say what you want about my post and how wrong you think I am, but for what I want to do, I am far from wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future iPad owner
Hummm, guess I'm happy listening to my music library on iTunes while I'm browsing enough to where I don't need another source of music. You talking about internet radio or something?

Reaction score
3 reasons why I will NOT buy right now

1. No Camera built in. I LOVE my camera on my mac book pro... very convenient and useful
2. No ability to use multiple apps at the same time. With the 1GHz processor, it should have no problems doing this.
3. And most importantly, no FLASH SUPPORT! The tout this as being able to browse the web just like a computer browser, but more then %30 of websites out there utilize flash in some way shape or form... crazy that it doesn't have support for flash.

my thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future iPad owner
3 reasons why I will NOT buy right now

1. No Camera built in. I LOVE my camera on my mac book pro... very convenient and useful
2. No ability to use multiple apps at the same time. With the 1GHz processor, it should have no problems doing this.
3. And most importantly, no FLASH SUPPORT! The tout this as being able to browse the web just like a computer browser, but more then %30 of websites out there utilize flash in some way shape or form... crazy that it doesn't have support for flash.

my thoughts.

I don't see the big deal with a camera, I don't need to take pictures of myself from my iPad, and I don't think 3G is good enough for video calls anyways is it? Multiple apps, yeah, that would be nice, but it's not a make or break deal for me.

Now, Flash, you say 30% of the web uses it, but for the sites you use most often, how critical is the flash content really? I use the internet on my iPhone all the time, browse hundreds of different sites, and I never really missed Flash. I do hope they implement it, now that it should be no problem with the extra screen size and processing power, but I don't see it as a deal breaker.

Reaction score
I wish you people would stop talking about the iPad being a "phone." It isn't. There is no way you an make or receive a call on it. It is not a phone. In fact, if you buy the 3g version, you'll undoubtedly find that even VOIP has been blocked by your carrier. If I'm wrong about this, please explain the phone function to me. I'd really like to know.

I agree 100%. It's a big ITouch. I think it's cool technology but can't think of a reason I would want it. I have two Imac's in the house with a gorgeous screen and all the apps I want. I have an IPhone. So why would I want to lug this around? No camera so I can't video conference. No usb so I can't upload / download from a thumb drive. And a $2.50 paperback can be tossed on the car seat but this? Nope you need to carry it with you or it will be stolen. I just don't get it. And I currently have AT&T on my phone and the 3G is really poor where I live. So why would I want sucky edge network on this as well???
Sorry guys, I really want to believe. I just can't get past the idea of a laptop being better.

Reaction score
Need to go back to the basics

Now that all of the January 27, 2010 announcements are over...here are my 15 reasons for considering the purchase of the new iPad.

11. What about the rotating vertical vs. horizontal viewing ability (similar to the iPod Touch or iPhone)?...can't do that with a laptop!
12. .

I just think that having a rotating viewing ability is a bad argument to make for buying this.
I think that apple has dropped the ball on this release. Not enough customization available. If they are intending this to compete with netbooks/tablets then it needs to live up to that. Until it can run office or at least word i would suggest not making the purchase.

Looks like apple needs to go back to the basics......

http://cdn.dipity.com/uploads/events/abf687ed10330222fd72582d95db5e70.jpg

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just think that having a rotating viewing ability is a bad argument to make for buying this.

Of course the rotating viewing ability of the iPad is not the ONLY reason to purchase an iPad. But if you take this attribute + some of the other 14 things listed...you can make a case for purchasing.

The title of this thread is, "15 Reasons to Consider Purchasing an iPad.".

Some folks may only need 1 reason, others 3 reasons, still others 5 reasons...and still others may need 20 reasons to purchase the iPad.

No one said that each of the 15 individual reasons had to have enough merit by itself to purchase an iPad!

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Check this out:

Windows 7 on the iPad? There's an App for That - InternetNews.com

With Citrix on the iPad, I can connect to work remotely and use our company's entire suite of applications (if need be). That's a BIG reason. At least for me - it means I'll be able to do 95% of what I do on my laptop with this thing. This might just replace my MacBook Pro.

The more I look at this thing, the more I'm thinking I might want one. If it had an SD slot to expand storage, it would be a no-brainer. I wonder if the OS will eventually support removable media through the expansion port.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand everyone has different rational for justifying the purchasing of an iPad.

But I think one reason that may be confusing folks is trying to justify the iPad purchase by thinking that it has to be a laptop replacement.

I think that the iPad has some unique abilities or attributes vs. a laptop...that make it a great compliment to a person's overall computing experience...rather than a replacement for another computing device such as a laptop.

These attributes or abilities could be:

- it's flatness...maybe more "usable" when laying horizontal on a couch or in bed vs. a laptop
- it's simply less bulky than a laptop...for more "casual" computing situations (e-mail, music, and internet)...on the couch.
- it's speed of startup
- it's speed of launching & closing apps
- the fact (hopefully) that it doesn't get hot like a laptop
- vertical vs. horizontal viewing (maybe better or more fun for different tasks)
- the built in accelerometer...may make playing games more immersive
- it's book-reading ability
- etc.

Again...maybe the iPad is not meant to be a laptop replacement...maybe it's meant to be looked at as a device to compliment or enhance a person's computing experience in certain situations. Maybe it should be viewed more as a "nice to have item"...but not as a "have to have item" like a laptop for getting more "serious" stuff done.

Besides...what are all of these electronic gizmos & gadgets for anyway...in many cases just toys for adults!;)

Just something to think about,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, I agree 100%. Only reason I mentioned the Netbook part was because so many are saying it's a Netbook replacement that
it does everything a netbook will do. That part is not true but for most normal users, the iPad will do everything they would ever do on a Netbook or even full sized laptop for that matter!

Just the crazy people like me that do a lot of non typical stuff will need more than the iPad offers at present. I still want one for the 95% of the stuff I do and would be so easy from my couch! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The more I see of it the more I like it. That said, I'm waiting for the 3G chip to become standard when they ditch the non-3G chip (like they ditched the 4GB iPhone). I also won't buy without a webcam integrated. Your reasons are good, though I would suggest it does not replace a Mini (FW800, USB, DVD-RW, media center, etc...) Keep in mind, you still need a real OS to run things like Handbrake, MTR, etc to get some of your content into a usable format for iTunes. I use screen sharing to access my Mini so I don't have a KVM for it, and thus it doesn't save me anything there. I'm guessing the iPad could do that as well with proper software... of course, that may well be a $9.99 App Store purchase. I have yet to pay for any app (except Dynolicious - a waste of money). I think the no-contract AT&T data thing is nice, but then again... where else are you going to be able to gas it up in the USA? May as well be a contract in that respect.

Reaction score
5 reasons not to buy it..

NO USB
NO Card Reader
NO Multi-tasker
NO Internal DVD
NO Connectivity to external drives.

It's just a BIG iphone, nothing more, nothing less. What a wasted opportunity to do something truly innovative.

I would bet my mortgage that if Steve Wozniak designed this it would have been a different story...

But if you are on the market for a Kindle, then get an ipad instead!

i totally agree with that, the new device make me disappointed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.