iMac to HDTV Isn't Working?

Reaction score
Okay, so I ordered a cable like 5 days ago from eBay, it was a VGA to HDMI cable. I have a Mini DVI to VGA connected to my mac, so I hooked up the HDMI Part to my 42" HDTV, connected the VGA Part to a Gender Changer, then connected to other end to my Mini DVI to VGA on my Mac.

When I usually plug in another display to my Mac, for instance my 20" HP Monitor, both of the screens turn blue, then it displays two monitors.

But this time, the screen didn't go blue, I did detect displays 4 times now, didn't go blue, I've restarted my mac a few times, and by HDTV will not display it at all.

Please help I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no such thing as a VGA to HDMI cable. Well, I'll rephrase that, there's no such thing as a working VGA to HDMI cable. Only con artists are selling such a cable.

VGA is analog
HDMI is digital

You cannot get from VGA to HDMI without a converter - probably in the $200-$250 range.

If you "truly" have a mini-DVI and not a mini displayport on your Mac, then you will need either:
1. a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable.
or
2. a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable.

I would recommend the latter - link - link.

OP
N
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a VGA to HDMI cable. Well, I'll rephrase that, there's no such thing as a working VGA to HDMI cable. Only con artists are selling such a cable.

VGA is analog
HDMI is digital

You cannot get from VGA to HDMI without a converter - probably in the $200-$250 range.

If you "truly" have a mini-DVI and not a mini displayport on your Mac, then you will need either:
1. a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable.
or
2. a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable.

I would recommend the latter - link - link.
So what you're saying is that I wasted my money on the cable and now I have to buy a brand new Mini DVI to HDMI plus a HDMI Cable?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but yep, that sums it up pretty well.

Unless you can get your money back from where ever you bought that thing.

The links I gave you there, both of them are only about $11-12 with a 6' cable, plus the shipping - course I don't know where you're located.

OP
N
Reaction score
Sorry, but yep, that sums it up pretty well.

Unless you can get your money back from where ever you bought that thing.

The links I gave you there, both of them are only about $11-12 with a 6' cable, plus the shipping - course I don't know where you're located.

Okay thanks for your help man :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.