• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple announces iOS 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I actually like it. Looks much freshened up, and I was one who got bored with the iPhone/iOS and ditched it. Looking forward to the next gen.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I actually like it. Looks much freshened up, and I was one who got bored with the iPhone/iOS and ditched it. Looking forward to the next gen.

I wouldn't say that I was actually bored with iOS. It was just limited compared to what a jail broken IOS, and Android devices could do. Now that the new iO7 I'm content with most of the new features and improvements. Of course there is always room for more improvement.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Watch the Android fan boys say that Google should sue Apple for ripping off their UI. >_>"
Because they did. If they claim that they didn't get inspiration from Google on the general aesthetic, they're lying. The card UI for multitasking is a rip off of WP8's multitasking functionality (it so blatant it's almost free from contestation) which itself is ripped off from webOS (as lifeisabeach pointed out). The "pull up" tray with the advanced functionality is almost a direct copy of Android's advanced notifications. The icon "flatness" copies Google's new web and app aesthetics (at least in iOS applications) and the transparency and semi-transparent icons copy Sailfish's aesthetic. The rest of it is flat which, although I think it looks nice, isn't all that revolutionary. Do I think the new UI is nice? Absolutely. Do I think it's original? No unless you count copying from a collection of other operating systems as "unique."

EDIT: As Thom at OSNews points out here (and something I forgot to mention):
Overall though, it's pretty clear that Apple took a lot - a lot - of inspiration from Metro and Google's Holo, and mashed them together on top of iOS, without actually changing the underlying workings of the UI. In that sense, it feels more like a flat theme than an actual redesign of the UI. Let me also note that, unlike some others, I have no issues with companies copying each other. In fact, I like the trend towards simplistic, digital design, so Apple following the trend that especially Microsoft has been championing for a few years is a good thing in my view.
Yes, you read that right and it's so obvious it hurts - Microsoft has become the aesthetic lead in the mobile space, inspiring the giants (Apple and Google) to go minimal. The company no one ever associates with aesthetic dominance has now become the trend setter for mobile (and for Google, their web products as well) design.

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Van, I agree on W8. It's probably the nicest Mobile OS out there at least what I see of it.

And now that it's mentioned I do see Web OS all over IOS7. Interesting. It's all coming back to me now. I missed Web OS and loved it when it first came out.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm okay with Apple adapting works from other designs - everyone does it anyway and really, pushing developers to improve their own work in light of competition is an okay thing. Hopefully though, this will quell a rather one sided discussion in which people (rather obliviously) generally argue that innovation and copying were one way (Apple outwards). The adaptation here is blatant and couldn't be more obvious unless Apple actually acknowledged it. Is this a problem? Like I said, not really. However, I think this speaks to Ive's lack of experience with iOS. He can design innovative hardware with (seemingly) relative ease but it appears that he struggled to truly innovate aesthetically and in terms of basic functionality with iOS 7. I still think this will be an awesome upgrade but I struggle to say that this is groundbreaking (despite the lofty rhetoric that floats out of Apple's marketing department).

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My issue is Apple always accusing others of stealing from them! Remember Jobs, Microsoft, Turn on the Photo Copiers!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's an interesting article on The Verge about some of the more subtle changes. Although highly critical (he does point out some things that might be jarring for novice and possibly some seasoned users), he does seem to suggest that this might be workable for the future if Apple makes a few tweaks. Although I don't agree with all that he's said, it's an interesting read.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My issue is Apple always accusing others of stealing from them! Remember Jobs, Microsoft, Turn on the Photo Copiers!

ROFL. We all know how that turned out Dennis. But I can hardly wait until I read the reply to Van's post above from a certain person living in Vancouver, BC. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

I wouldn't say that I was actually bored with iOS. It was just limited compared to what a jail broken IOS, and Android devices could do. Now that the new iO7 I'm content with most of the new features and improvements. Of course there is always room for more improvement.

Agreed with both here. I wasn't really bored with iOS6, but i wasn't excited to dive in and use it, and now that i have my iPad Mini, i find my phone is taking the back seat. Over the last 2 days now, iP5 is back in action, and i suppose i can drop that down to be trying out all the features.
Now what I'm a little concerned about is AirDrop. They mentioned Airdrop on the Phone for the Phone :-/ That how i saw it, because Schiller danced around the stage and said "at least you don't have to go around bumbling phones together" a dig at Samsung and i laughed, and in Photos it says, AirDrop ~
Share with people instantly with people nearby. If they don't appear automatically, ask them to open Control Center and turn on AirDrop
Now I'm wondering why they haven't let that be to Macs Airdrop ?? Its not that hard is it ??

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Agreed with both here. I wasn't really bored with iOS6, but i wasn't excited to dive in and use it, and now that i have my iPad Mini, i find my phone is taking the back seat. Over the last 2 days now, iP5 is back in action, and i suppose i can drop that down to be trying out all the features.
Now what I'm a little concerned about is AirDrop. They mentioned Airdrop on the Phone for the Phone :-/ That how i saw it, because Schiller danced around the stage and said "at least you don't have to go around bumbling phones together" a dig at Samsung and i laughed, and in Photos it says, AirDrop ~
Now I'm wondering why they haven't let that be to Macs Airdrop ?? Its not that hard is it ??

Wished they would enable Airdrop to work with all Mac products instead of just iPhones and iOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Wished they would enable Airdrop to work with all Mac products instead of just iPhones and iOS.

Huh? AirDrop is on OS X. Been there since 10.7 Lion.

In other news... I watched the WWDC keynote last night and I'm a LOT more impressed with iOS 7. I still think the icons pretty much suck, but I'm seeing clear influences from Metro and WebOS and mostly in positive ways. I've always been impressed with the typography in Metro and some of its design aesthetics. I'm baffled by some who think it draws off Android... even Ars Technica had an article making that claim and the points drawn were just completely stupid.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

In other news... I watched the WWDC keynote last night and I'm a LOT more impressed with iOS 7. I still think the icons pretty much suck, but I'm seeing clear influences from Metro and WebOS and mostly in positive ways. I've always been impressed with the iconography in Metro and some of its design aesthetics. I'm baffled by some who think it draws off Android... even Ars Technica had an article making that claim and the points drawn were just completely stupid.

Yes but it doesn't work with the iPhone to Mac. Not in iOS7 as of yet.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm baffled by some who think it draws off Android... even Ars Technica had an article making that claim and the points drawn were just completely stupid.
I thought the same thing. Their examples were weak at best. However, there are some elements of Android that crept in (enhanced notifications and quick settings with control centre and the overall "flattening" of the OS is something that Google and Microsoft have been doing for quite some time). If anything though, they brought some Lumias into Ive's office and said "how can we emulate this as best we can?" (not Android devices).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Ah. Well that's nutty. I'm wondering if it will with Mavericks. They are switching from AFP to SMBX (an implementation of SMB2) for file sharing so presumably AirPlay on iOS 7 is using that also.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah. Well that's nutty. I'm wondering if it will with Mavericks. They are switching from AFP to SMBX (an implementation of SMB2) for file sharing so presumably AirPlay on iOS 7 is using that also.

It's still in beta 1 so there is still time for them to add features and change things.

Reaction score
Spotlight? just swipe down in the middle of any screen like an 'update' gesture

Sooo...it's no longer to the right of the first home screen? (Speaking of which, where's the home screen dots?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

But there was no mention of this in the Keynote, and they had both iOS 7 and Mavericks right there, Shiller was more interested in saying "At least we don't have to go around bumping phones together" lol and laughed, but absolutely no mention in the Keynote and even in iOS 7 all it says if someone near you with iPhone tell them to turn it on :( Im not seeing come Phone to Mac to Phone :(

EDIT : Has anyone noticed the subtle tribute to Steve Jobs in iOS 7 ?? Look Below :)

stevejobsiOS7tribute.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's still in beta 1 so there is still time for them to add features and change things.

In other news... I watched the WWDC keynote last night and I'm a LOT more impressed with iOS 7. I still think the icons pretty much suck, but I'm seeing clear influences from Metro and WebOS and mostly in positive ways. I've always been impressed with the typography in Metro and some of its design aesthetics. I'm baffled by some who think it draws off Android... even Ars Technica had an article making that claim and the points drawn were just completely stupid.

What i have discovered is AirDrop on iOS 7 is using Bluetooth to do this File Sharing thing. I was playing with it trying to get work with the Mac, and when i turned it on, i noticed the Bluetooth Icon in Control Centre turn on. I then tapped the Bluetooth Icon and my AirDrop turned off.
Now if someone with iOS 6 has Bluetooth turned on, Airdrop doesn't see them or can't discover them, as i found out with my missus and her iOS 6. So the BlueTooth or WiFi is a encrypted transfer. Cant find out more on what .v Bluetooth it is, as to iOS6 but I'm digging deeper :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But there was no mention of this in the Keynote, and they had both iOS 7 and Mavericks right there, Shiller was more interested in saying "At least we don't have to go around bumping phones together" lol and laughed, but absolutely no mention in the Keynote and even in iOS 7 all it says if someone near you with iPhone tell them to turn it on :( Im not seeing come Phone to Mac to Phone :(

EDIT : Has anyone noticed the subtle tribute to Steve Jobs in iOS 7 ?? Look Below :)

I'm using this app to send things back and forth between my Phone and iMac. Kind of wish Airplay on iOS7 was like this without the actual bumping. XD Airplay on iOS7 apparently is only enabled on iPhone 5 and the newer generation iPad and iPad mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.