Is This A Good Deal For Mac Pro?

Reaction score
I have found an amazing deal on craigslist in my area for a Mac Pro. $750 with two dual core Xeon processors and two video cards. I am thinking of swapping out the video card with the one in my current gaming pc. Is this a good deal? Reply quick because I am not sure how long this will be up! Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have found an amazing deal on craigslist in my area for a Mac Pro. $750 with two dual core Xeon processors and two video cards. I am thinking of swapping out the video card with the one in my current gaming pc. Is this a good deal? Reply quick because I am not sure how long this will be up! Thank you!

$750 for a 1st generation "Quad-core" Mac Pro with two video cards (which is what this sounds like)...is not too bad. You should have mentioned how much ram it has as well...since ram for these Mac Pro's is pretty expensive.

Also...don't think that you can just swap Windows PC parts into a Macintosh computer. I can almost guarantee that the Windows PC parts are not compatible.

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
$750 for a 1st generation "Quad-core" Mac Pro with two video cards (which is what this sounds like)...is not too bad. You should have mentioned how much ram it has as well...since ram for these Mac Pro's is pretty expensive.

Also...don't think that you can just swap Windows PC parts into a Macintosh computer. I can almost guarantee that the Windows PC parts are not compatible.

- Nick

It has 4gb of RAM. Are there specific graphics cards made to work with the Mac Pro then? Because this model has two video cards which togethor add up to 512mb of Vram and I was hoping to use bootcamp and use the Mac Pro as a gaming rig as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has 4gb of RAM. Are there specific graphics cards made to work with the Mac Pro then? Because this model has two video cards which togethor add up to 512mb of Vram and I was hoping to use bootcamp and use the Mac Pro as a gaming rig as well.

Yes there are specific video cards for Mac Pro computers...and they are more expensive than compared to video cards for Windows computers (even for a 4-5 year-old Mac Pro you are looking at).

Also...those two video cards may add up to 512meg of vram...but there's really no point doing the addition...since they cannot be used together. They are two separate & distinct cards. You can use them in the same computer at the same time with multiple monitors...but you won't be able to use them in "crossfire mode" like in Windows computers.

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes there are specific video cards for Mac Pro computers...and they are more expensive than compared to video cards for Windows computers (even for a 4-5 year-old Mac Pro you are looking at).

Also...those two video cards may add up to 512meg of vram...but there's really no point doing the addition...since they cannot be used together. They are two separate & distinct cards. You can use them in the same computer at the same time with multiple monitors...but you won't be able to use them in "crossfire mode" like in Windows computers.

- Nick

Oh ok, thank you! I see on the apple store they sell the GPU I had in mind for the Mac Pro so I will be buying that along with the mac pro. Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok, thank you! I see on the apple store they sell the GPU I had in mind for the Mac Pro so I will be buying that along with the mac pro. Thank you!

I'm not sure which video card you're talking about...but not all video cards currently available at the Apple Store for Mac Pros are compatible with every Mac Pro model that has been released since 2006.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And it is a Dual Core, make sure it is not the slower, cheaper 2GHz model, but the 2.66 or hopefully the 3GHz. For a Mac Pro 1.1 consider the nVidia GeForce 8800GT with 512MB VRAM, but make sure it is the card for a Mac Pro 1.1 as the card for later PCI-E 2.) channel cards will not work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.