Don't you love spaces?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
I know I do. At work I use windows and I don't have spaces. Here's a screenshot. I would never allow that on my Mac. My Mac wouldn't allow me to have that happen! lol

screenshot.jpg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I know I do. At work I use windows and I don't have spaces. Here's a screenshot. I would never allow that on my Mac. My Mac wouldn't allow me to have that happen! lol

Umm actually you can do that on a Mac, it's just that we have expose so it's a lot easier to switch between programs.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
I know. I use spaces on my Mac, but at work I use windows and I'm running at least 6 programs at 1 time and I wish I had spaces!

I guess I'm just spoiled when I'm at home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I think spaces is fine if you're utilizing different desktops for different types of apps, such as media on one screen, disk utilities on another, office work on the next etc.. I do this with Linux. But I have to be honest, I think the point is kind of silly in that you absolutely can not work with 6 different apps all at once, so the idea of needing them all up front at once is really redundant. Therefore, there's nothing wrong with the ol' minimize button, and doing a good ol' alt+tab to get to the app you need, or simply clicking on the app in the taskbar.

Personally speaking, I hate keeping more apps than necessary, open, on any desktop. I like screen real estate/space. But that's just me. I also do this in order to preserve system resources. Again, that's just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
i love spaces! although i'm still using expose' more often. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I am totally OCD and love having 1 app in 1 Space. But that is also just me. I do miss the show desktop button in Windoze, but I keep 1 Space free at all times just for that purpose. LOL.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are virtual desktop programs for Windows too. In fact, I believe it's included in Microsoft's "Power Toys" package. I remember using something like that back in the Windows NT 4 days.

EDIT: Here's a nice-looking open source program - http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook: 2.2 Core2Duo, 120GB HDD, 1GB Ram, Superdrive.
I am totally OCD and love having 1 app in 1 Space. But that is also just me. I do miss the show desktop button in Windoze, but I keep 1 Space free at all times just for that purpose. LOL.

You can show desktop via expose. There is an option where you can apply one key for that sole purepose. - F6 for me ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.