Can civilization 5 run on my mac with 10.5.8

Reaction score
I am about to buy civilization 5 on steam, I want to know if I can run it on my OSX 10.5.8 software.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am about to buy civilization 5 on steam, I want to know if I can run it on my OSX 10.5.8 software.

Have you checked Steam for the system requirements for Civilization 5 for the Mac?

If you do an internet search for "Civilization 5 system requirements Mac"...you get this:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/23/civilization-5-mac-system-requirements/
http://www.aspyr.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-v

One site says you need OS 10.6.4...and other one says you need 10.7 or higher. Either way...it would seem to indicate that you cannot run Civ. 5 with OS 10.5.8.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Pretty much anything new these days will require 10.6 or higher, because nobody writes PPC software anymore and haven't for years.

If you have a Mac that's so old that it's running 10.5.8, it is either:
1. A very old Mac indeed that is using a G3/G4/G5 chip or
2. One of the very first Intel Macs, also quite old now

If it's an Intel Mac, upgrade it to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 by ordering the DVD from Apple for $20, then use Software Update to update your Apple software. You will want to do the optional install of Rosetta (part of the OS 10.6 upgrade) in order to keep your old PPC-based apps running. If you can, I would recommend upgrading your RAM to at minimum 2GB (more if possible), a very cheap upgrade that will make a huge difference.

Of course, even Snow Leopard is now all but off Apple's radar for support, so the longer-term solution is to start looking for a new(er) Mac and replacements/upgrades for any PowerPC-based software you are running. The writing is on the wall ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.