Help Finding a Game

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
Hi, this is actually my first post on the website. Rather surprising seeing how I like forums and my family's been using strictly macs since I've been born.

Anyway, I need help finding a good game to play. I've been googling constantly and I can't find anything that interests me. I'm looking for something where you can control one character, so no Sims or Command or Conquer. I tried World of Warcraft, but what turned me off was the long walks from city to city and the tedious tasks of just killing wild animals over and over again till one leaves behind a special item.

I want something with a bunch of action. RPG elements, and strategy are nice, but action is the major priority. Diablo 3 looks perfect, but I'm not sure I can wait much more than a year for it. Then I turned to Diablo 2, but my computer's too new for it. Then I looked at the Apple Games website and I saw Star Wars The Force Unleashed, which looked alright, but apparently not all of the newest 13" MacBook Pros have enough GHz to run it.

Also, one important thing is that the fighting isn't too straight forward. I don't want a game where you just walk up to monsters and click the same button over and over again.

If anybody knows a game that could fulfill my needs I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have the newest 13" MacBook Pro, here are my specs:

Software:.......................OS 10.6.2
Model Name:...................MacBook Pro
Model Identifier:...............MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name:..............Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:..............2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors:......1
Total Number Of Cores:......2
L2 Cache:.........................3 MB
Memory:..........................4 GB

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you looked at Spore?

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but I own it and the hero expansion. That's the only game I have actually.

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I've checked there, but I can't really find much that interests me. Bioshock looks cool and it's definitely worth checking out, but I'm rather tired of first person shooters, I'm looking for more of just a physical combat game, i.e. Diablo 3. I noticed a game called Dragon Age: Origins, but the combat seemed similar to WoW, where you can only walk up to a character and press a button over and over again. I want a game with more options for attacking, and more openness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well here are a few different games you might like based on your original post:

Pirates - Live The Life
Based on the original pirates game from the B&W computer days. But this one is new and looks very snazzy with some nice sword fighting and ship combat scenes. And very open/sandbox styled game. Worth checking out.

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2:
Both should play on your computer ok. They are based on the Dungeons and Dragons system of battle. But personally I thought NWN1 was pretty good but NWN2 despite the better graphics and story had a character control scheme that was so hard to use it tirned me off the game. Still you might liek them both for something different.

Starcraft:
Old game (Real Tie Strategy) - as in age of dinosaurs here. But it's still a goodie if you can get a hold of an OS X installer and can handle the low resolution of the game.

Puzzle Quest - Challenge Of The Warlords
Puzzle Quest - Galactrix
Two totally different games here. Puzzle based but both have heavy RPG elements in them too. Both really are a similar thing but the first is in a medievel setting and the 2nd is in a outerspace setting.

Plants Vs Zombies
I know a little casual game but it's really addictive.

Breakquest
Another little game but in my opinion the best brickles/breakout styled game I ahve ever played. It's really something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Man I miss Starcraft... I am PUMPED for SC2. I've been trying to get an OS X installer forever. I lost my old CD copy ages ago, and don't really know if it's worth paying for again when SC2 is close to release.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it have to be a Mac port, or would you be willing to try a Windows game? If not, I highly recommend the Half-Life 2 series. One of my all time favs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Good games, HL and HL2. I was never one for windows games, so I didn't play much... but Wolfenstein ET (or Enemy Territory) is also pretty good, and free. First person WW2 shooter.

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pirates and Neverwinter Nights look alright. Starcraft looks really col and I'm probably going to get the 2nd one. The puzzle games look alright, but I detest bejeweled type games. I actually have Plants vs Zombies on my iPhone and it's great, don't know about breakquest.

By trying window games, you mean using bootcamp? I'm not really familiar with that, but I guess I could.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By trying window games, you mean using bootcamp? I'm not really familiar with that, but I guess I could.

Exactly. One of the really cool things on Windows is Steam - it's a library of thousands of games, with community ratings. It also acts as a downloader and game manager. So, you buy a game from Steam, it downloads off the Internet and maintains the game (and patches) for you. If you format your drive, Steam keeps a record of games linked to your account and lets you download them again. Similarly, you can play your games on any computer that has Steam, providing that you are only in one instance at a time.

I never thought I'd like this kind of Orwellian approach to games, but it's actually all I use anymore. No more messing with discs or having to run out to the store for the latest releases. Very handy.

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly. One of the really cool things on Windows is Steam - it's a library of thousands of games, with community ratings. It also acts as a downloader and game manager. So, you buy a game from Steam, it downloads off the Internet and maintains the game (and patches) for you. If you format your drive, Steam keeps a record of games linked to your account and lets you download them again. Similarly, you can play your games on any computer that has Steam, providing that you are only in one instance at a time.

I never thought I'd like this kind of Orwellian approach to games, but it's actually all I use anymore. No more messing with discs or having to run out to the store for the latest releases. Very handy.
interesting, first I have to look into what bootcamp is exactly and what you need to use it. Any other windows reccomendations?

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that's a very detailed, helpful explanation. However, buying the windows software would cost a lot and I'm not sure if it's truly worth it.

Reaction score
...Then I turned to Diablo 2, but my computer's too new for it...

I just bought an iMac(former PC user) and I wanted Diablo 2 on it. If you register your Diablo 2 copy on your Blizzard store account (which you can create if you you don't have one), you can download the Diablo 2 mac client...which works on newest mac. No CD necessary either.

Once you create your account...you register your blizzard product (using the serial key)...then click the game to manage it and download the client you want. The download may take awhile depending on your connection.

Here's the link to the store:
Blizzard Store

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just bought an iMac(former PC user) and I wanted Diablo 2 on it. If you register your Diablo 2 copy on your Blizzard store account (which you can create if you you don't have one), you can download the Diablo 2 mac client...which works on newest mac. No CD necessary either.

Once you create your account...you register your blizzard product (using the serial key)...then click the game to manage it and download the client you want. The download may take awhile depending on your connection.

Here's the link to the store:
Blizzard Store
Thanks, but I was hoping to be able to play a demo before buying it. Do you think that's possible at all? I searched it, and found that you can digitally download it also, would that work? Link: Blizzard Store

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple - Downloads - Demos & Updates - StarCraft
There is the OS X installer for Starctaft.

Diablo II Files - PlanetDiablo
There is the OS X installer for Diablo 2. And also the demo for Diablo 2.
Oh, thanks! A couple questions though. First, I think the Diablo 2 Demo link's not working, could you check and see if I'm using the right one? 2. If I digitally download the games will they still come with the code that I put into the OS X installers?

Thanks again, that's real helpful!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.