can you just swap hard drives if you get new mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
Hi!

The new mac pros are out. It figures. one month after I got mine.

If I should get a new one, can I just take out my 2 hard drives in my machine (the main and the time machine backup) and put them into the new mac pro?

Will the system just recognize the new processors and FSB and all that, or am I better off doing fresh install of everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
What do you do and what model would you be upgrading to?

Honestly, I don't know. I had a little PM conversation with Cowasaki earlier today. He mentioned new code in Leopard for the new graphics cards. Honestly, I have no clue if it's in there or not. If it is, the data might be ok. If not, you could have a problem getting an image to show if Leopard isn't updated for the new graphic cards.

Anyways, I asked which model you'd be upgrading to because I wonder if it's worth it. If you're only upgrading to the 4 core with the 8800 GT, the upgrade wouldn't be worth it. The difference wouldn't be noticed except for on paper.
If you were looking at one of the 8-core Macs, the difference would be noticeable. So would the $1000 I'd suspect it'd cost after you sold your current machine.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi,

i bought my current machine with student discount $2300.

i was thinking of getting the 8 core with the nvidia & 500gb for $2900 with my discount.
My current machine has about $4000 worth of software that I will sell with it, so I could most likely get more than $2300 for it.
Wouldn't it be worth it to switch?

I was just hoping I wouldn't have to back up everything and reload, just pop out the drives and pop the other ones in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi,

i bought my current machine with student discount $2300.

i was thinking of getting the 8 core with the nvidia & 500gb for $2900 with my discount.
My current machine has about $4000 worth of software that I will sell with it, so I could most likely get more than $2300 for it.
Wouldn't it be worth it to switch?

I was just hoping I wouldn't have to back up everything and reload, just pop out the drives and pop the other ones in.

If you take out the HD's for the new machine, the new user would have to buy a new one. If you were to sell the software with the current machine, you'd have to purchase all of it again. Unless you were planning on only installing it and not including the discs. Just an FYI, only installing is illegal. eBay would remove your listing and or kick you off. They could also make you purchase the software for the end user.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
You will need to migrate to your new Mac from your old one. The old drive won't have the wherewithal to work with the new hardware configuration. And vice versa. The new drive will be setup for the 8-core and putting it into the MBP won't have good results.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know that about ebay. I see listings on there all the time where they don't include back up discs. That's interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know that about ebay. I see listings on there all the time where they don't include back up discs. That's interesting.

Yea, there just aren't enough police on eBay to prevent people from selling software and hardware the way people do.

Reaction score
I just bought.a 2012 mac pro but i have all of my files on my 2007 mac pro. How can i transfer all of the files from my 2007 to the 2012?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it all depends. Files on an external hard drive or what? Best way is after installing operating system hooking up and using Migration Assistant in Utilities. Be aware any older PowerPC applications, such as Office 2004 etc, will not work as Snow Leopard OS X.6 was the final OS capable of running Rosetta.

And you should start your own thread. Only the Original Poster (OP) is advised when a response is logged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.