Trash won't empty !! HELP !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 21.5" iMac. Mavericks . 1TB HD. 8GB Memory. 2.9GHz Intel Core i5, Ipad Air 64GB , iPhone 4s
I have a new 2012 21.5" iMac. Running on Mountain Lion. Until today all was fine - then the trash has decided that it won't empty ! I use " secure empty trash " not just empty. When I click on empty it says " there are some locked items in the trash. Do you want to remove all items , or just the unlocked ones ? " I click on all items - the counter says 146 items - the blue lines turn - then stop. The trash can is still full. HELP !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello there,
What does it do when you opt to remove the unlocked items ? What sort of files would be the ones that are locked..I know Pages will lock documents if you haven't used them for a while and perhaps it just doesn't want to completely remove anything that may potentially be in there by accident?

I guess if you unlock them they will be removed from Trash.

You can also hold down the option key as you choose 'Empty Trash'

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 21.5" iMac. Mavericks . 1TB HD. 8GB Memory. 2.9GHz Intel Core i5, Ipad Air 64GB , iPhone 4s
Trash won't empty

I chose to delete locked and unlocked items - but that didn't work. Then I did as you suggested and held down the " option " key. Worked perfectly ! Thank you SO much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I chose to delete locked and unlocked items - but that didn't work. Then I did as you suggested and held down the " option " key. Worked perfectly ! Thank you SO much.

Good news thank you :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.