imac g4 flat-panel

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an imac g4 flat-panel 800mhz, the usb ports appear to have suddenly stopped working, the system boots up, but I cannot log in or change the boot mode as I cnanot use a keyboard.... any advice before I crack it open? I'm familiar with mac innards, I have repaired about 5 now, but I haven't come across this problem before, any advice at all would be great.

Regards,
Baris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Do you have the restore discs? I'd startup with it and try fixing the permissions and check for errors on the hard disc.
Pop the disc in and restart the computer. Hold option right after you hit the power button to bring up the boot menu. Choose the CD and click the right arrow. When the computer restarts, it should start with the CD. See if you can fix the permissions and such.
Or try resetting the PRAM... Apple, Option, P, R during startup. Hold till computer chimes a second time. Or do it till it restarts a 3rd time.
I've never seen this, these are simple easy fixes before you open up the case.
Hope this helps!!
Bryan

OP
W
Reaction score
Do you have the restore discs? I'd startup with it and try fixing the permissions and check for errors on the hard disc.
Pop the disc in and restart the computer. Hold option right after you hit the power button to bring up the boot menu. Choose the CD and click the right arrow. When the computer restarts, it should start with the CD. See if you can fix the permissions and such.
Or try resetting the PRAM... Apple, Option, P, R during startup. Hold till computer chimes a second time. Or do it till it restarts a 3rd time.
I've never seen this, these are simple easy fixes before you open up the case.
Hope this helps!!
Bryan

Hi, thanks for the enthusiasm unfortuantely as I said above, the usb-ports don't seem to work, therefore I can't do anything that involves using a keyboard. I was hoping there might be other options, maybe remove a battery temporarily or similar? A kind of manual purge.

Thanks again.
Baris

Reaction score
Lol, I was just trying to wrap my mind around your issue of non-working USB ports and it's getting late here and I'm tired ... those two don't mix.

I spent about 10 mins on google but couldn't find anything and when I did post something I realised it wouldn't/couldn't work anyway.

I had this crazy idea about a FireWire to USB adapter ....

M

MacHeadCase

Right off the top of my head, I can see two options here.

If you have another Mac, you could always use use FireWire target disk mode and run the Apple Hardware Test in extended mode through the optical drive of the other Mac so it can check all the hardware components on the iMac.

If you have another keyboard lying around you could plug that in to make sure it isn't the keyboard acting up instead of it being the USB ports.

OP
W
Reaction score
Lol, I was just trying to wrap my mind around your issue of non-working USB ports and it's getting late here and I'm tired ... those two don't mix.

I spent about 10 mins on google but couldn't find anything and when I did post something I realised it wouldn't/couldn't work anyway.

I had this crazy idea about a FireWire to USB adapter ....

Well Pulse, that was probably good thinking because that's the best I could come up with too and I'd like to think between us we're pretty smart. Might give it a go if the below option doesn't work out...

Right off the top of my head, I can see two options here.

If you have another Mac, you could always use use FireWire target disk mode and run the Apple Hardware Test in extended mode through the optical drive of the other Mac so it can check all the hardware components on the iMac.

If you have another keyboard lying around you could plug that in to make sure it isn't the keyboard acting up instead of it being the USB ports.

Now this... is a pretty good idea. It just so happens... I do have another imac of almost identical build. You are a genius. I am a little confused as to firewire disk mode however, I need to tell the busted mac to use the good hardware, will simply plugging in a firewire cable do this? If I have to hold any keys on the busted mac, it's not going to work haha!

M

MacHeadCase

Just follow the instructions at Apple's site (the link I posted). The working computer being the Host computer, the broken one being the Target computer.

Mind you, I've never tried this before, but hopefully it can work.

Just pop in the working computer's optical drive the broken iMac's Hardware Test CD (this could be confusing: in some previous Mac models, the Hardware Test was on its own CD, some other Mac models have the Hardware Test on one of the CDs or DVDs that came in the kit with the Mac) and once you get the broken Mac in Target Disk mode, try to launch the Hardware Test from the working Mac and ask the diagnostic software to check the hardware components on the broken iMac.

Let us know if it works and what the results are. If not, report back anyway: maybe someone else has other ideas.

OP
W
Reaction score
Still haven't had a chance to diagnose the problem or start working on it, but I did notice that the mouse still lights up. This would indicate the bus is still working to some degree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
You've tried another keyboard? Does the mouse work properly while booted up?

OP
W
Reaction score
You've tried another keyboard? Does the mouse work properly while booted up?

Hi there, no it doesn't the mouse and keyboard do not work properly although the mouse lights up which means at least the power signal is available. However the keyboard and mouse do work perfectly fine on another machine, so I am ruling them out.

I can't do a hardware test because I can't eject the item, which in turn suggests it could well be the hardware. Annoying as heck. Why can't they product firewire mice and keyboards haha! That would be awesome.

OP
W
Reaction score
Okay well I have disassembled the imac with dysfunctional usb, a comparison of the board to another board shows nothing particularly unique, the solder contacts seem to be fine, although I may attempt to apply a little heat to make sure.

I have also ordered a firewire to usb cable to see if that will allow me to get at least a keyboard running, then I can try the hardware test. No joy as far as target disc mode, it works, the only thing it checks remotely is the harddisk, which seems to be in fine condition. So for future reference, you cannot boot from one mac to diagnose another via the hardware test in this manner.

Any other suggestions welcome... here's the status

None of the 3 USB ports works, but all will light the apple mouse optical laser up. Suggests power is available... could the controller be dead? Where would I find it?

OP
W
Reaction score
Resetting the pram and pmu did nothing unfortunately. Any other ideas guys? I am thinking about taking it into an apple store to find out. Guess we shall see if they have any ideas.

Reaction score
Resetting the pram and pmu did nothing unfortunately. Any other ideas guys? I am thinking about taking it into an apple store to find out. Guess we shall see if they have any ideas.

Funny that the mouse is receiving power .... have you tried plugging the mouse directly into the USB 2.0 ports on the base of the G4? I know it's not going to produce a miracle but it'd be interesting to know if the mouse will function once removed from the keyboards USB 1.0 port.

Maybe the keyboard might work if you have the mouse connected via one of the other G4's USB ports instead?

I thought this was an interesting read:

Post # 5 from CanadaRam

I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of this information, though.

The USB 2.0 ports on my previous iMac G5 stopped producing enough juice to power my EyeTV DTT USB device and if I hadn't gotten a new iMac out of Apple I know the AppleStore tech would've just ordered in a new logic board.

OP
W
Reaction score
Funny that the mouse is receiving power .... have you tried plugging the mouse directly into the USB 2.0 ports on the base of the G4? I know it's not going to produce a miracle but it'd be interesting to know if the mouse will function once removed from the keyboards USB 1.0 port.

Maybe the keyboard might work if you have the mouse connected via one of the other G4's USB ports instead?

I thought this was an interesting read:

Post # 5 from CanadaRam

I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of this information, though.

The USB 2.0 ports on my previous iMac G5 stopped producing enough juice to power my EyeTV DTT USB device and if I hadn't gotten a new iMac out of Apple I know the AppleStore tech would've just ordered in a new logic board.

As a matter of habit I always had them plugged into different ports anyway, the mouse thankfully had a longer cable that some of the others ive seen. I don't know what else there could be to check, I guess trying a self-powered hub would be a good idea, having said that the keyboard can't be using that much power at all, and it doesn't work on it's own either.

Thanks for sniffing out extra info for me though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.