DVD writer recognition with Paralles

Reaction score
I recently installed Parallels onto my macbook so I could use Roxio and my other windows apps. When trying to create a DVD or CD using roxio, no recording device is recognized.

Am I doing something wrong, not seeing something here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
this is a Mac forum and your problem is with the parallels program. I cannot help you with this and I do not know how many people in this forum use Parallels Desktop. If you want help, visit http://forum.parallels.com and ask your question there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
this is a Mac forum and your problem is with the parallels program. I cannot help you with this and I do not know how many people in this forum use Parallels Desktop. If you want help, visit http://forum.parallels.com and ask your question there.

Plenty of people do and this is exactly the right place to ask this question - the clue is in the forum title.

AFAIK, DVD burning is still not supported, but certainly was something they were looking to add in the new version, so the best solution is to drop the files to a shared folder and burn them from your Mac.

Reaction score
Plenty of people do and this is exactly the right place to ask this question - the clue is in the forum title.

AFAIK, DVD burning is still not supported, but certainly was something they were looking to add in the new version, so the best solution is to drop the files to a shared folder and burn them from your Mac.

True, that this can be mentioned here because of your reasoning and I would agree about moving them to the Mac OS. I also, agree that DVD burning is not fully supported on Parallels (I am currently using RC2 version of Parallels Desktop), but he wanted to do his burning in Parallels according to the title, not on his Mac OS. I said that because this was a problem in Parallels not supporting it, and that they may be able to give him better information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
True, that this can be mentioned here because of your reasoning and I would agree about moving them to the Mac OS. I also, agree that DVD burning is not fully supported on Parallels (I am currently using RC2 version of Parallels Desktop), but he wanted to do his burning in Parallels according to the title, not on his Mac OS. I said that because this was a problem in Parallels not supporting it, and that they may be able to give him better information.

Without getting into a pointless pedantic argument, you didn't say that at all in your first post. You implied that he should not be asking Parallels related questions on a Mac forum. Since he'll get the same answer at the Parallels forum, and you knew this, sending him over there is unhelpful. Rather than tell the poster to ask the question elsewhere, you could have just answered the question.

Reaction score
Without getting into a pointless pedantic argument, you didn't say that at all in your first post. You implied that he should not be asking Parallels related questions on a Mac forum. Since he'll get the same answer at the Parallels forum, and you knew this, sending him over there is unhelpful. Rather than tell the poster to ask the question elsewhere, you could have just answered the question.

Alright, but still since this was a Mac forum, I thought that the only support for Windows booting would have been Bootcamp and any mention of Parallels would have been nothing about technical support for the program. I am just more used to seeing these questions over at the Parallels forum, than at a Mac forum (although Parallels Desktop is for Mac). I don't want this to turn into an argument either, but why exactly does this forum provide support for a program that boots Windows and other operating systems, which Apple does not make? Sorry for being troublesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Both points are valid, but the purpose of this forum is to help people using their Macs. His question isn't specific to Windows, it's only applicable to a Mac user running Windows.

Long story short: The thread here is fine, the parallels forum may have more info - you're both right.
END OF DEBATE.

Back on topic:
I'd really just get a Mac program if you plan to do a lot of burning. There are a number of free / shareware solutions out there, and Toast 8 can't be beaten if it's full functionality you're looking for (although it don't come cheap!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.