Customizing folder view problem...!!!

Reaction score
Hi I have a similar question about customizing folder view. How do I customize the view just for a particular folder and all the sub-folders inside without affecting other folders outside.

eg. I want my Picture folder and all sub-folders to have cover flow view. To do so I press the "Use as Default" button at the bottom of view options. But this will also affect all my other system folders as well. Is there an Automator script I have to use or an easier way of doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
just open the folder in question...set the size...& what view you want...everything you want to customize...
now instead of clicking set as default...check the box that says "always view as...." right on top
this sould give u the desired result :)

OP
capoeira4u
Reaction score
just open the folder in question...set the size...& what view you want...everything you want to customize...
now instead of clicking set as default...check the box that says "always view as...." right on top
this sould give u the desired result :)

Thanks for your reply. Actually what you've recommended will only affect the root folder. However I want to make the setting effective for ALL THE SUB-FOLDERS within that root folder.

For example, within my Picture folder, I have organized my pictures into 100 separate sub-folders. If I check the box "always view as..." it will only affect the Picture folder. But it will NOT change the view settings for the 100 sub-folders within.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
the only way you can achieve this is mu selecting "set as default" in the same pane
however this will effect ALL folders on your system...you will then have to manually go & change every folder you dont want looking like that.

OP
capoeira4u
Reaction score
the only way you can achieve this is mu selecting "set as default" in the same pane
however this will effect ALL folders on your system...you will then have to manually go & change every folder you dont want looking like that.

Yes I knew that already...and it really sucks... thanks for your reply anyway.

Reaction score
Hi I have a similar question about customizing folder view. How do I customize the view just for a particular folder and all the sub-folders inside without affecting other folders outside.

eg. I want my Picture folder and all sub-folders to have cover flow view. To do so I press the "Use as Default" button at the bottom of view options. But this will also affect all my other system folders as well. Is there an Automator script I have to use or an easier way of doing this?

You can use Automator to change the folder view. Here is an Automator app I made to do this for you: Here.It will ask for a folder and when you select one, it will change the view of that folder and any subfolders to be "cover flow".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.