"TV Shows" not showing up on iPad 3?

Reaction score
Okay, I HAD a ton of videos (135) in .MOV format and converted all of them to .MP4 format so that they'd play on my iPad.
Then I came across a post saying that if I changed the media type from "Movie" to "TV Show" that I could put them into playlists.
So, I did change all of the formats to "TV Show".
iTunes converted them to TV Show and moved them out of my Movies folder and into my TV Shows folder.
I then created playlists and categorized the videos in question.
Then I synced my TV Shows to my iPad (which took about twice as long as originally syncing the MP4 videos, oddly enough).
Now that the sync is done, my iTunes usage meter on my computer shows all of the videos taking up space on my iPad, but my iPad doesn't have a single video or "TV Show" on it.

What am I missing?

Does the iPad play .MP4 videos in the "Videos" section, but the "TV Shows" need to be in a different format?

Thanks,

Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which version of iOS do you have on your iPad?

but my iPad doesn't have a single video or "TV Show" on it.
Which app are you looking in?

MP4 is the correct format for Movies and TV

Which tab are you selecting when choose what to sync?

OP
J
Reaction score
Which version of iOS do you have on your iPad?

Which app are you looking in?

MP4 is the correct format for Movies and TV

Which tab are you selecting when choose what to sync?

5.1.1 (9B206)

I've looked in all Apple Apps...Videos, Music, Camera (longshot)

As far as syncing:
Justin's iPad>TV Shows Tab>Sync TV Shows>Include Episodes From Playlists

C

chas_m

On my iPad, where there are TV shows present on the iPad, they appear under a new button called (cunningly) TV Shows in the Videos app.

Behold:

iPad_TVShows.jpg

I can only imagine that either you're not tagging the episodes correctly, or you've managed to find a version of MP4 that iTunes can support but not the iOS devices.

OP
J
Reaction score
On my iPad, where there are TV shows present on the iPad, they appear under a new button called (cunningly) TV Shows in the Videos app.

Behold:

View attachment 18071

I can only imagine that either you're not tagging the episodes correctly, or you've managed to find a version of MP4 that iTunes can support but not the iOS devices.

It has to be a non-recognized MP4 version that's causing the problem because when I change the video's media to "TV Show" and sync, my MBP iTunes depicts that the "TV Shows" are now taking up storage on my iPad, but my iPad "Movie" app says there are no movies (whatsoever) and doesn't even give me a Movies/TV Shows toggle switch at the top (just a prompt to visit the iTunes store to buy movies and tv shows).

Your pic of the Movies/TV Shows toggle switch is the first time I've seen that (never on my iPad).

C

chas_m

You keep referring to a "Movies" app. As you can see, I am not referring to that app. The app for viewing videos is called Videos. I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

If you're in the right app, then you might try running your rogue MP4 through a program that will convert videos into iPad-ready MP4s (MP4 is a container, so codecs within can be "out of spec").

You can try the free Adapter to check and see if that solves the problem, as an example.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.