External hard drive not showing up

Reaction score
I have a 2TB WD external hard drive. I've had it for a couple of years now and it's always worked fine, but recently I've had some problems connecting it. A few months ago it refused to connect, but after a day or so it worked fine. This time, the problem is worse.

Here's what happened: I connected it and it showed up on the desktop, but when I clicked on it to get to my files, it ejected itself and I got a message saying "disk was not ejected properly." So I unplugged it and turned it off, and then connected it again a few days later, and this time I could get to my files, but the minute I tried to open a file, the hard drive ejected itself again. Now it's not showing up on the desktop at all, nor is it showing up in disk utility.

There is very important data on that hard drive. What do I do?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There is very important data on that hard drive. What do I do?

It's very possible that this external hard drive is dead or dying. I hope that you have those "very important files" backed up somewhere.

One thing you could try is...plug it into a 2nd computer. If it still acts similarly...then that would seem to indicate that the external hard drive is the problem...and not a computer problem.

Another idea...launch "Disk Utility" (Applications folder > Utility Folder) then try "repairing" the disk.

- Nick

OP
fyoosha
Reaction score
My external hard drive was back-up. I didn't realize I should have a back-up of my back-up. =/

Unfortunately I don't think I can try connecting it to another computer, since I don't know anyone else who has a Mac, and since the hard drive formatted to a Mac, it doesn't show up on PCs.

I opened Disk Utility, but it's not even showing up there!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My external hard drive was back-up. I didn't realize I should have a back-up of my back-up. =/

If this external HD was your backup drive...then all of those important files should be present on your computers internal HD.

Having all your files "backed up" means that you have at least two copies of all files. One copy on the backup HD...and one copy on your "main" HD (computers internal HD).

Thus (in a sense) there is no issue (no file or data loss issue)...except that it's possible that this external HD is dead or dying...and maybe it's time for a new one.

Unfortunately I don't think I can try connecting it to another computer, since I don't know anyone else who has a Mac...

Just a suggestion. Trying to give you multiple low-cost solutions before you need to start spending cash.;)

I opened Disk Utility, but it's not even showing up there!

Another indication that this external HD is dead or dying.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.