MS Office 08 sucks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM
OK i got office 08 a few days ago and today was the first day i could try it out. It sucked!:Angry-Tongue:
It was very disappointing, so i went back to using iWork 08.
It's so much easier to use.
Anyone else disappointed with MS Office 08?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I assume it's the same as the newest office for Vista. I have to use it on my school computer, and I hate it.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
oh come on! What did you expect from Microsoft? I have tried to use '07 on a coworkers PC. Once. Completely bewildering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Personally I like Office 2008 and prefer it to iWork.

I'm guessing from the in depth description of why it "sucks", you're just on the anti-MS bandwagon? ;)

OP
(StationOfPlay)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'm guessing from the in depth description of why it "sucks", you're just on the anti-MS bandwagon? ;)

definitely not on the "anti-MS bandwagon".
I've been using MS Office 04 Mac for 4 years, and it's been great. Office 08 is a big disappointment imo.
I was getting kinda tired of 04, so i got iWork 08 and it's much better then MS Office 08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I'm with Schweb. I like Office 2007 on Windows and thus really like Office 2008 for Mac. Sure, iWork is nice, but overall, Office is much better. I have both so that I can use Keynote, Word, and Excel.

Perhaps you would like to expand a bit as to why you think Office 2008 "sucks." As was the case with Office 2007, people didn't like it because of the new interface. It's possible that your frustration lies in you not being used to the Ribbon interface rather than a fundamental flaw in Office 2008 itself.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have been using Office 2007 (excel for at least 5 hrs a day) at work for several months now. Still think the ribbon bites the bullit.

Do have it set up with all my regular stuff added at the top (forget what MS is calling that bar and the ribbon minimized, so it doesn't really slow down my workflow any longer, at least not much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
[Personal opinion] The only useful office apps are excel and access [/Personal Opinion]
The only reason I would buy office for OSX is for Excel - Word is an awful word processor and bad value for money - compare with Nisus express - regardless of which platform you use it on. Powerpoint presentations are a small-ish market, and selling a glorified outlook express/Address Book/iCal as an app doesn't make up for the lack of Access.
I'm happy using Open Office Org which gives me roughly the same functionality for free, though it does have an unmaclike-ish appearance and runs under X11 but i can cope with that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
definitely not on the "anti-MS bandwagon".
I've been using MS Office 04 Mac for 4 years, and it's been great. Office 08 is a big disappointment imo.
I was getting kinda tired of 04, so i got iWork 08 and it's much better then MS Office 08.

I'm still waiting on the details as to why you think it's so bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerpoint presentations are a small-ish market,

You're kidding right? Powerpoint is a hugely used app. Why do you think it gets some of the most attention at every Office upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have been using Office 2007 (excel for at least 5 hrs a day) at work for several months now. Still think the ribbon bites the bullit.

I wasn't too sure about the ribbon myself when I first upgraded to 2007 at work. However now I absolutely love it. I think Office 2007 is possibly one of the best upgrades of Office in awhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
schweb said:
stonysleep said:
Powerpoint presentations are a small-ish market,
You're kidding right? Powerpoint is a hugely used app. Why do you think it gets some of the most attention at every Office upgrade?
Not kidding, am just speaking from the point of view
I've used powerpoint very little and compared with Excel and Word I think of it as a smaller market
Everyone uses word processing in some shape or form, not everyone does presentations
I use spreadsheets a lot, and the only reason i load power point is when people send me email jokes in ppt format
Powerpoint must be a smaller market than word, and in my world it's smaller than Excel and potentially Access

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not kidding, am just speaking from the point of view that I've used it very little and compared with Excel and Word I think of it as a smaller market
Everyone uses word processing in some shape or form, not everyone uses Powerpoint
I use spreadsheets a lot, and the only reason i load power point is when people send me email jokes in ppt format
Powerpoint must be a smaller market than word, and in my world it's smaller than Excel and potentially Access

You must not work in the corporate environment. PowerPoint is used all the time by almost everyone. Almost no one but analysts use Access (and even they rarely do), we get reporting in Excel. But I honestly use PowerPoint much more than Word.

Of all the Office apps, Access by far is the least used. I would say the other three are about equal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

looks that way.

Office far from Reeks. I do love iWork and for most basic things I prefer it to Office but it's still lacking in features and complete compatibility compared to Office.

IWork 08 is a big step in the right direction and I believe in the future it will improve even more. For the average home user iWork is great but for full compatibility with the rest of the world and for more Pro usage, Office is still the one to go with.

I really do not like Access at all and just use Excel for that kind of work. A lot of people love Keynote and I can see why, but Pages and Numbers for sure need a bit more work. Numbers is brand new so give it some time and I am sure it will be a great spreadsheet app as time goes on. What is there is not bad, it just needs more.

OP
(StationOfPlay)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still waiting on the details as to why you think it's so bad.
Why I think iWork 08 is better then MS Office 08 Mac
Pages is compatible with arabic, where as Microsoft Word 08 isn't. I need arabic word processing for one of my classes, and all i have is a Mac, so it's important that i have a good word processor compatible with Arabic.
Microsoft office has too many features that i really dont need. Not to mention the fact that Office 08 takes up over 900mb on my hard drive while iWork 08 takes up 685mb.
Powerpoint 08 is something i am REALLY disappointed with. The themes arent as good as from any of the previous versions, and it just seems more boring. Keynote on the other hand has more enjoyable themes and is compatible with Arabic, unlike Powerpoint.
Excel however is far superior to Numbers. Numbers, like the other person said, is still in it's early position, and it needs time to grow. Numbers doesn't have nearly as many features as Excel.
iWork was about $70 cheaper then Office 08 for Mac.;P
On my Mac, iWork 08 runs much much much faster then Office 08. Things like application launching, saving, and opening are all at least 3 times faster on iWork 08 then MS Office 08.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I wasn't too sure about the ribbon myself when I first upgraded to 2007 at work. However now I absolutely love it. I think Office 2007 is possibly one of the best upgrades of Office in awhile.

Although I'm in Excel all day, the functions I use day to day are very basic stuff. Just for me, everytime I need something out of my ordinary useage, it's not intuitive enough for me. Could be just me, but when I go to look for a function I may only use once every 6 months to a year, it just seems to take forever to find. They always seem to be hidden in a place that ends up being the 5th or 10th place I go to look for it.

And also, if not for the ability to add your often used stuff to the top bar, found myself having to click at least once if not two more times than I had to previously. I still have a few functions that require 2 clicks to get to, that use to be a single click away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
OK i got office 08 a few days ago and today was the first day i could try it out. It sucked!:Angry-Tongue:
It was very disappointing, so i went back to using iWork 08.
It's so much easier to use.
Anyone else disappointed with MS Office 08?

From my experience, Word is very good and can do many things that Pages cannot. Excel and Powerpoint are also very good. The thing that really disappointed me was Entourage. It's very buggy and can't do many of the things that Mail can do. It can't detect names, addresses, phone numbers and the like and automatically save that info in it's Address Book or calendar. This is a seemingly simple feature of Mail and I've grown to love it. It wants to sync it's address book with Mac Address Book. Not good because I have to maintain 2 different address books. I've had it crash several times already.

No built in stationary and cannot easily work with photographs in email. I realize these features are more for home use and Entourage isn't designed with that in mind but lets face it, those of us who use Mac's use them because they enable us to be more creative and are easier to use. M$ missed an opportunity to make this office suite a must have in my opinion. Oh sure, it will be the must have app for office use but only because they have a strong hold on the business community and we're forced to use it for compatibility reasons alone.

Below is an excerpt from Macworld. I couldn't have stated this better so I'll quote them.

"Entourage uses a single database file to store its information, and that file can become quite large over time. When Apple released Spotlight, Microsoft created a workaround so Spotlight could index and search Entourage’s e-mail messages: it replicates each message as a small text file in your User Library folder. But there’s no such workaround for Leopard’s Time Machine backup facility. If you receive even a single e-mail, the whole database is marked as new, and Time Machine will back the entire thing up every hour. If you’re short of backup disk space, you might consider excluding ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/ from your Time Machine backup, and regularly backing up that directory using another method."

Oh and one more thing. Entourage already has a known bug where it loses the ability to alert you to incoming mail audibly. Not only that but there is no way to set your own sound file for any of the alert tones. So not only are you stuck with the tones that M$ has selected for you but they don't always work. Overall I think that Office 2008 is nothing more than a pig with lipstick. It's Office 2004 rewritten in Universal Binary with a UI update.

Mail has some similar issues with the alert tones but at least it works half the time which is 50% more than what I get with Entourage, LOL. I feel confident that Apple will fix Mail faster than M$ will fix Entourage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Even though I'm dreading having to learn the ribbon layout, I'm really looking forward to Office '08. I think some of the new capabilities I've seen in Entourage and Excel will be helpful. Also, the notebook feature looks pretty good for someone like me in graduate school. The changeover to make it run natively is almost enough to upgrade alone.

I can't wait to try it out. Too bad they didn't release a trial version like previous versions. But, my university gets it on academic license in 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Don't worry fleurya, Office 2008 doesn't have the full blown Ribbon that 2007 does. It works very similarly to Office 2004, with several of the features more readily accessible than before. You still have the Formatting palette and it is very customizable.

Reaction score
[Personal opinion] The only useful office apps are excel and access [/Personal Opinion]
The only reason I would buy office for OSX is for Excel - Word is an awful word processor and bad value for money - compare with Nisus express - regardless of which platform you use it on. Powerpoint presentations are a small-ish market, and selling a glorified outlook express/Address Book/iCal as an app doesn't make up for the lack of Access.
I'm happy using Open Office Org which gives me roughly the same functionality for free, though it does have an unmaclike-ish appearance and runs under X11 but i can cope with that

Have you tried NeoOffice? Its releases lag a little behind OpenOffice.org's, since it's based on their code, but it's native OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.