dock on mountain lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 3.8, Ipad 3, MacBook Pro 15"retina, iPhone 5
installed mountain lion last night. all went smoothly
imac 24 early 2009
however i noticed an issue with the dock. when i got open apps or progs , the dots that sit underneath them are only just visible. they are on the edge of the dock instead of underneath the app. anyone else noticed this
one other thing i noticed was
when i created the bootable drive for mountain i deleted the lion one. after installing i partitioned the drive to create bootable lion and mountain lion on same drive
but for some reason i can now not recreate a lion bootable drive in mountain lion??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
imac 24 early 2009
however i noticed an issue with the dock. when i got open apps or progs , the dots that sit underneath them are only just visible. they are on the edge of the dock instead of underneath the app. anyone else noticed this
when i created the bootable drive for mountain i deleted the lion one. after installing i partitioned the drive to create bootable lion and mountain lion on same drive
but for some reason i can now not recreate a lion bootable drive in mountain lion??????

I have noticed the dock issue you mentioned... Not a huge deal, just a little irritating...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I see what you are talking about and noticed it in the first 5 minutes, but it really does not bug me, as I can still tell which apps are running.

Down the line someone might come up with something to put it back the way it was. Who knows! :D

Reaction score
Ya, it'd be nice to at least change the color or the new "block" that now tells you which apps are open. The blueish white washes out too easily and takes some time to notice them all...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Took me a few minutes to adjusted to the new look Dock. Instead of a translucent Dock, we have an aluminum panel dock with rectangular lights. Similar to the front edge of your MBP. The lights will appeared corresponding to each open apps.

Once my eyes adjusted to what it is, I have no problem identifying the lights on the front edge of the Dock.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had not really noticed the change till I read this thread. I do find the new indicator a bit less noticeable. Not likely to be a big issue for me though. I didn't really notice the old one much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I didn't even know there was a change as I don't use the dock indicators. If an app is in my dock, its running. I use Alfred to launch my apps.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I absolutely hate the new Dock. It lacks the depth and visual interest of the old Dock, not to mention that the running apps indicators are nearly impossible to see at a glance. To add insult to injury, you can't even skin it back to the way it used to look.

Hate to say it, but this might finally be the straw that makes me move back to Snow Leopard, where the OS was actually functional and good looking.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The free "SuperDocker" still works somewhat. It won't change the color or depth of the Dock any longer but it still works for the application indicators. I chose a red indicator so I could see it easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I read this entire thread having no idea what anyone was talking about. My dock is on the right hand side of the screen. Since most documents are in portrait format and most monitors are in landscape format, I consider the space at the bottom of the screen to be of premium value. I keep the dock on the right side of the screen in the space that is hardly ever used. I mention this because it appears that if you switch to a vertical dock, you get the old style back. Apple changed the horizontal dock, but didn't bother to change the vertical one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I read this entire thread having no idea what anyone was talking about. My dock is on the right hand side of the screen. Since most documents are in portrait format and most monitors are in landscape format, I consider the space at the bottom of the screen to be of premium value. I keep the dock on the right side of the screen in the space that is hardly ever used. I mention this because it appears that if you switch to a vertical dock, you get the old style back. Apple changed the horizontal dock, but didn't bother to change the vertical one.

The vertical docks are 2D docks, where the horizontal dock is 3D.

Reaction score
imac 24 early 2009

This is my biggest frustration with mountain lion (thankfully, it is a rather small one) I rely on the dot indicators so I know what to close when I needed to free up some processing power on my ageing mac... now it's just a bit of a pain to see :(
the dock in general just isn't quite as good :/

the other problem is that spotlight is a bit less responsive, has anyone else noticed this?

C

chas_m

Press command-tab to see what apps are open. Press the tab to move between them. Move the finger you have on the tab to the q to quit them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Looking through the Dock app bundle, changing the style of the indicators wouldn't be difficult - a simple image swap and restart of the Dock would do it. Thus, I'm sure if you copied over the indicator picture files from Lion, you could have your old indicators back. However, I have no idea how that would look or if it would work so I'll refrain from posting a solution until I can test it myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro PowerBook G4 ipod classic imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I never noticed the lights on the dock indicating open apps until i read this post, coming from a windows back ground its all new to me any way,
but isn't everything new strange at first

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.