Technics 1200 turntable LED modification

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
This post is just me showing off what I do when I'm bored until my college classes start next week. :Cool:
I swapped out my 1200's red pitch control LED for a blue LED that I bought from Radio Shack:

30346423_226962_raw.jpg

Big noticeable difference even at night! Since it was so easy to do, I'm going to swap out the other red LED's on the turntable for more blues ones.
I'll keep you posted...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just curious. I have some old turntables that I use every now & then (including 78rpm). Are you having any trouble getting new cartridges for your turntable(s). I haven't done any searching for a while.

- Nick

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly, turntable cartridges/needles are still easy to come by. Various companies still market them not just for DJ's and also for audiophiles/hi-fidelity aficionados.

Check out The Needledoctor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Honestly, turntable cartridges/needles are still easy to come by. Various companies still market them not just for DJ's and also for audiophiles/hi-fidelity aficionados.

Check out The Needledoctor.

I thought they still might be. I just haven't done any research lately. I'm thinking maybe if someone has an unusual brand turntable...maybe a replacement cartridge is hard to find.

Maybe the better question is...Can replacement cartridges be found inexpensively? For example...Is the same inexpensive cartridge sold back in the 1980's now selling for an astronomical price!!;) And I'm saying MUCH more than just factoring in inflation.

Thanks for the link.:)

- Nick

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally finished the LED mod on one of my 1200's.

Before:
l.jpg

After:
l.jpg

Side by side:
l.jpg

I'll never mod this one:
l.jpg

And YES, those are real Bob James LP's. 8)

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I started off months ago just cleaning the filthy platter then added blue LED's then removed the grounding cable:

l.jpg

For the past month I've worked on the power cord mod. I removed the stock 2 wire power cord and added a 3-prong AC socket to fit a 3-prong computer power cable:

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Power cord sits flush in AC plug socket:
l.jpg

I finally soldered it the power wires, buttoned it up and did an ops check of it this past weekend:
My Technics 1200 AC socket mod with 3 prong power cable - YouTube

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.