• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Co Founder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
in the news this week, following Steve Jobb's death they say that he was the Apple co founder.

who was the other person then?

J

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In retrospect selling 10% stake in Apple for $800 has to go in the books as one of the worst financial decisions of all time.

Almost as dumb as when Seattle Computing sold DOS to Microsoft for a song. :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with both. SCP sold DOS to MS for $50k. Small considering what MS made off it.

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In retrospect selling 10% stake in Apple for $800 has to go in the books as one of the worst financial decisions of all time.

crikey so if Apple is worth the purported $340bn now, thats approx 34bn compared to the $800 31 years ago....dear me

he wants shooting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram

what a sap, right? haha

C

chas_m

Well, let's be fair ... he couldn't foresee what would happen. If you guys were even ALIVE in those days, I can say with great confidence that you probably blew $800 or more on stuff where you ended up with nothing to show for it. For me, it was Donkey Kong. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Well, let's be fair ... he couldn't foresee what would happen. If you guys were even ALIVE in those days, I can say with great confidence that you probably blew $800 or more on stuff where you ended up with nothing to show for it. For me, it was Donkey Kong. :)

I was alive and well; same age as founders.

Also, really wasn't ragging on the guy . . . just makes me feel better about the bad financial decisions I've made. ;)

C

chas_m

Oh I hear THAT!

I bought Apple stock at $13 or so a share got maybe $10K worth (it was a long time ago now). When it hit $42 I thought "that's it, it can't possibly go much higher" and sold it (very healthy profit obviously). Nice, right?

Then it split -- twice -- and those shares would now be worth, what, a million and a half or so? More?

I can't think about it too hard, so forgive the sloppy math. Still, I'm happy with what I got and glad I was out of the stock market by the mid-2000s, so I'm not complaining too much.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Oh I hear THAT!

I bought Apple stock at $13 or so a share got maybe $10K worth (it was a long time ago now). When it hit $42 I thought "that's it, it can't possibly go much higher" and sold it (very healthy profit obviously). Nice, right?

Then it split -- twice -- and those shares would now be worth, what, a million and a half or so? More?

I can't think about it too hard, so forgive the sloppy math. Still, I'm happy with what I got and glad I was out of the stock market by the mid-2000s, so I'm not complaining too much.
That's exactly the sort of thing I was talking about. With all the stock turmoil I have had a tendency to beat myself up over the millions I didn't make.
Seeing this for some reason helps put it in perspective and move on.

Bottomline: you have to do what seems wise at the time and then move on. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.