Mavericks halloween scare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
I have a MacBook Pro which is a couple of years old, and which, on awakening today, had Mountain Lion. Then, I followed an App Store Update popup about Mavericks. Downloaded it, and clicked on Install. When it was done, I got this scary message: "OS X could not be installed. The OS X upgrade could not be started because the disk HD is damaged and can't be repaired etc etc "

Of course, I panicked. I took the laptop to a neighborhood Apple-authorized facility, where a young fellow told me, after he said he ran diagnostics, that my hard disk is "toast".

At the urging of my wise wife, bless her heart, I trotted the laptop home to "sleep on it". There, I restarted the laptop, the upgrade restarted itself, installed fine, and opened at the desktop. Since then, I have checked email, run a half dozen apps, am now typing this message, and everything seems to be working. At About This Mac, it says I have OS X 10.9, which I believe is Mavericks.

Whew.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Perhaps you're only delaying the inevitable? Boot your machine to its Recovery partition by holding down the Command and R keys at the same time. Once in Recovery, select Utilities, and then Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive. Also you might want to download the free SmartReporter and run it.

And make backups!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
At the urging of my wise wife, bless her heart, I trotted the laptop home to "sleep on it". There, I restarted the laptop, the upgrade restarted itself, installed fine, and opened at the desktop. Since then, I have checked email, run a half dozen apps, am now typing this message, and everything seems to be working. At About This Mac, it says I have OS X 10.9, which I believe is Mavericks.

Whew.

So the first question that comes to my mind is (after you dodged this bullet)...do you have a backup...or are you right now in the process of making one?

Because if you had a backup all along...there would have been absolutely no reason to:

- panic
- visit the local Apple expert
- told the hard drive was toast
- "bless the wife"
- sleep on it

When you have hard drive backups...there's a lot less to worry about!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go by what SMARTReporter tells you. It makes no mistakes. And backup backup backup!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
As Nick said, plus hard drives failures can be intermittent, although less common, and the flex cable connecting the hard drive can become intermittent. After an episode such as you have reported, I would certainly have the hard drive and cable replaced, they are not expensive. If you have a 2012 13" MBP, Apple issued some small black sticky foam pads to protect the cable, ensure that is also fitted. The pads were only for the 2012 13" though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
So the first question that comes to my mind is (after you dodged this bullet)...do you have a backup...or are you right now in the process of making one?

Because if you had a backup all along...there would have been absolutely no reason to:

- panic
- visit the local Apple expert
- told the hard drive was toast
- "bless the wife"
- sleep on it

When you have hard drive backups...there's a lot less to worry about!:)

- Nick

Indeed

-- iApprove this message! --

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
Thanks to all.

First, I do have backups. Even backups of the backups. I learned that lesson a very long time ago through multiple versions of DOS and Windows.

Boot your machine to its Recovery partition by holding down the Command and R keys at the same time. Once in Recovery, select Utilities, and then Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive.
I did that, and the result is that the hard disk "appears to be OK".

Also you might want to download SmartReporter and run it.
I purchased it from the App Store, and installed it. It has been running ever since. It reports "Status: OK".

Perhaps you're only delaying the inevitable?
Yes, that occurred to me, too. But having the hard disk replaced is likely to cost a couple of hundred bucks, which may not be a lot, but it is a chunk. So, I think that for now, I will rely on SmartReporter, keep backing up, and see what evolves.
Go by what SMARTReporter tells you. It makes no mistakes.

Thank you all again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks to all.

First, I do have backups. Even backups of the backups. I learned that lesson a very long time ago through multiple versions of DOS and Windows.

Good deal...glad to hear it!:) But if you had all of these backups...why was there so much "drama" when you had this "Halloween Scare"?

I mean I totally understand that waking up one day and having this happen can hit you VERY suddenly. But then 5 seconds later when you remember you have all those backups...you should get a BIG comfortable feeling of relief (due to the backups).

In any case...great to hear all is well.:) We do get a lot of story's where this happens ot folks...and they DON'T have backups. That's why we may sound pretty stern & harsh when it comes to backups.

If someone can afford a Macintosh computer...they can certainly afford to purchase some sort of backup device or "Cloud" storage for backups!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.