I just don't understand the attraction

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Believe me, I love Apple and many of their products. They've been very good at staying on the leading edge of tech. But this product just seems like a step back, limited feature product with a bloated pricetage.

The big draw is video content, because you can just get Airtunes for music. I just wouldn't want to pay for anything that doesn't provide HD content. My iTunes TV shows look bad enough on my 22" LCD, I can't imagine how bad they would be on a 50" Plasma. I was quietly hoping/expecting Apple to make some big announcement of a secret to start selling HD content on iTunes with the release of Apple TV, but I suppose that hope is gone. Personally, I would rather purchase a decent used Mac Mini and connect that to my TV. It's not much more money and you have so many more viewing options and capabilities.

Microsoft doesn't have much on Apple, but in the case of media content, they blow Apple away. Media Center has a lot of great features and combined with an Xbox 360, it can do all of Apple TV and more. Plus, you can actually purchase HD content and, when IPTV finally makes its big break (someday) Windows will be ready and Apple will be left behind.

I just don't understand this product. I love Apple, but this does nothing for me, and I'm a bit tired of being on iTunes lockdown. I chuckled a an article that said Apple makes Microsoft look like open source in comparison.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Stirring up a little flame bait on a boring Friday afternoon or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Believe me, I love Apple and many of their products. They've been very good at staying on the leading edge of tech. But this product just seems like a step back, limited feature product with a bloated pricetage.

I just don't understand this product. I love Apple, but this does nothing for me...
Well, I think you have hit on two important things here.

First being, not everything is made to please every person. Personally, I don't understand the need for the iPhone. Apple made it anyway. I will never find any use for that product and have no intention of ever buying one. To each his own.

The second thing is a little deeper. I think you are starting to realize that Apple is not the holiest of holies that many people make it out to be.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Macs and I have for many, many years. In the end, they are just computers. They aren't the best thing for everyone and sometimes there are better things out there on the market. Apple does make great products but they do release a few goose eggs now and then. They always have, this is nothing new. Their grand ideas for new things do backfire every once in a while and end up with something not so great. I believe that Apple TV and the iPhone could very well end up in that list. Just because it has an Apple logo on it and it comes in a shiny, white box ... does not make it the greatest invention since the wheel.

I think you are finally starting to see past the shiny haze of the smoke and mirrors show that Steve Jobs uses in his keynotes.:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Oooh that smell. Can you smell that smell?
It smells like a TROLL.
*narf*
Everybody stirs up dust now and then. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Oooh that smell. Can you smell that smell?
It smells like a TROLL.
No, fleurya isn't a troll.
He is merely pointing out a simple fact of reality.
Apple TV isn't made for everyone. He is part of that group.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I really wasn't trying to stirr up trouble or be a troll (my $2000 MBP begs to differ), I just feel this product doesn't meet up to Apple standards. I think the product has great potential, but the the media (HD content) has to catch up with the hardware. I'm sure Apple will eventually come out with HD content, then the Apple TV will be great. Until then, I'll just view my iTunes content on the old monitor.

I guess I just had a lot of stock in my prediction that HD content would be announced, and the lack of that announcement made me a little depressed and required a little post-venting.

Thanks Devilboy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I totally agree with you. The lack of HD content along with the fact that I can't stream my video files in their native format is a big turn off. I don't want to have my computer converting gigabytes worth of videos just so that I can stream it to my plasma in the living room.

Another problem I have with the thing is that you practically need the new Airport Extreme base to stream videos properly. 802.11g just doesn't have the sort of bandwidth that can allow you to stream good quality videos without any hiccups.

Like you said, I wouldn't mind plopping down a bit more for a Mac Mini and connecting that to my TV. It's not like I'm missing out on quality since I can use the DVI cable for video and the optical cable for audio. Plus, you can do so much more like add an external hard drive to expand capacity and use the thing like an actual computer, which is great if I ever wanted to show a bunch of people a video on youtube (sure, quality isn't great, but it's much better than 6 people crowding around a laptop screen).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For ME after checking it out, I would rather just do what I am now doing and use my Core Duo Mini on my TV. It's plays 1080i perfectally and everything else, whether from iTunes or not and I can access it from any computer in the house and it can access any computer in the house and all the movies and music. Works great for ME and does all I need and more. I do not need to spend $$$ on another box that does not do all I can do right now.

I am sure Apple will sell a lot of them though for people who don't need all I do. It does it's job well, I just prefer a full computer for my use's.

Agreed with Kash on the 802.11g also. It's not really that fast and might get in the way with some formats.

Also well said DB.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
fleurya a troll? please. the guy with 10 posts not contributing to the discussion? hmmm.

dude, i'm with you, i don't get it either. i guess there might be a niche market for it, but the level of interest even here seems a bit high to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I know that it definitely appeals to the "I love Apple more than my life" category. Those die-hard fans who just swallow everything Steve Jobs gives them without asking questions.

My cousin is like this. He pre-ordered his AppleTV and thought I was stupid for not doing the same :rolleyes:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
IF it did a few more things, for the price I would buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I chuckled a an article that said Apple makes Microsoft look like open source in comparison.

Just my 2 cents.
Geez I feel old...

I used a 1st gen Macintosh at work, as in, this was 1984. No joke.

Apple made it known that everyone who worked on the Mac had their signature embossed in the case. HOWEVER, to get inside you had to have this tool that looked not unlike a bit brace. They figured you had no reason whatsoever to be inside their machine. I'm amazed that the culture is such that I can switch my hard drive and RAM and not violate my warranty.

Apple wants you to buy from them and not know what's going on inside the pretty boxes. The comparison you mentioned makes sense.

At the same time, the machine works well. I come from the Windows/Unix/Linux world. There's value here, at least in my MacBook. I'll take a little hubris if justified.

Just my two bits...

Reaction score
A sad fact is that Apple TV has a ridiculously small target market.

1) Only US-Residents can really make use of it.
2) Only someone who doesn't care much for HD content
3) Only someone who has the appropriate TV setup to make it worthwile that
4) it costs this much.

I think Apple TV is more of a symbolic product than anything else. It's just trying to say "hey, where all over the place now", and Apple should finally strap together and start doing something about the Macs, it's high time we see some software.

They're doing pathetic things right now and their focus is swerving out of hand. The KISS principle that brought them back up in 1998 is beginning to fall apart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I think Apple TV is more of a symbolic product than anything else. It's just trying to say "hey, where all over the place now", and Apple should finally strap together and start doing something about the Macs, it's high time we see some software.

They're doing pathetic things right now and their focus is swerving out of hand. The KISS principle that brought them back up in 1998 is beginning to fall apart.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Let other companies worry about making an "Apple TV" type device. Work with a third party and let that company release and sell the product. Co-brand it if neccessary, but Apple shouldn't try to be everything to everyone like they are heading towards.
Apple started with computers and did extremely well. That is their strong point. They let the success of the iPod go to their heads and now they think they can conquer other markets outside of the realm of computers. That simply isn't the case.
Apple needs to center itself as a company again and get back to doing what they do best... making computers and software.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
hmm, apple set top box with a narrow audience that apple probably should have outsourced or stayed away from in the first place?

sounds familiar.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
was that a newton that Veruca was following? ;)

Reaction score
Great find eric, in fact when I wrote my previous post I was thinking of how the Newton messed things up, and other products such as the Apple Interactive Television Box.

The iPod worked because of the simple fact that it played any MP3 file, even pirated ones. I would wild guess that 90% of todays iPods worldwide carry stolen music for the most part. Apple can't afford to limit compatibility on Apple TV unless they provide s with viable options to obtain content.

The iTunes Music Store has a good selection of songs across the globe, but the video store is in the US only, and this is partly Apple's fault (that they release such a product in the first place) and that of the television studios who are unwilling to unify laws and releases world-wide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Actually, the Newton was a pretty solid device. Its only problem was it came out way ahead of its time. After the Newton was gone, Palm entered the game and ended up dominating. There was no way for Apple to really recoup after that.

Same with digital cameras. The Apple QuickTake was revolutionary, but it never really caught on.

Apple has always tried to dip their toes into other markets and (with the exception of the iPod) has always failed.

You would think that they would learn from past mistakes, but they keep on trying. I guess you have to give them some credit for not giving up.:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.