Mac keeps freezing very often

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
hi I'm using a MacBook Pro for almost a year now, and it's freezing quite often..........when i quit apps by right-clicking and quitting or using cmd+Q, normally it works fine, but sometimes my screen just goes blue (like the way it goes blue when it's shut down), and it just stays like that, i can't do anything........i can still change the volume and screen brightness and stuff, keyboard works (caps lock key turns green when i press), but the screen just stays blue, only option is to restart the Mac using ctrl+cmd+eject. this happens about once every two days or so, sometimes doesn't happen for awhile, then happens again
it's happened quite often especially when i quit Google Chrome or MS Office Mac documents, sometimes for games (but that maybe because some are torrents and some are Windows stuff running on Crossover). Is something wrong with my Mac?? and would anyone recommend something like Mackeeper for stuff like this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How full is your HD (amount used & amount free)?

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
Less than half used,I think only about 180GB or less of the 500GB is used......and this freezing has been happening since like the second month I started using the Mac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Less than half used,I think only about 180GB or less of the 500GB is used......and this freezing has been happening since like the second month I started using the Mac

Thanks for the HD info...sometimes folks have full HD's...and that can cause problems like you describe. Have you ever "repaired permissions"?

If not...launch "Disk Utility"...select your HD...click on "Repair Permissions". This could take a while if you've never done it.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
I did it yesterday night, repaired quite a lot of permissions,whatever that means...........so far no freezing, hope it stays like that
Thanks
btw, I did a full scan using an unactivated MacKeeper, it showed loads of issues (around 300), you think it's true or anything serious?? or are they just minor stuff? and they kept showing this offer to give some $500 worth MacKeeper software for just $38 if I activate it, will it be any worth to install this stuff
I've got a few free anti-viruses (Sophos,Virus Barrier and ClamXav), rarely show any viruses when i scan with them

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
problem about MacKeeper solved.......read many of this forum's posts and stuff......thank god :S

thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.