Speakers aren't working

Reaction score
Hi Guys'
I'm new to this forum and I'd appreciate some help.

I'm using a MacBook Pro on OX 10.4.11 and recently my external speakers just stopped working.

Tried all the usual stuff:preferences, System Profiler , checked mute etc. no joy. Bought a brand new set of Bose speakers (well someone has to do it).

Mac just won't see them.

Any suggestion woul be truly appreciated.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Have you tried plugging them in to another source to confirm the speakers are working properly?

Also, do the speakers have a two-inputs and a 'source selection' button? If they do, could you have possibly accidentally pressed this and now it is set to the other input.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

No speakers are OK and they do not have a source selection button.

I'm starting to wonder if it is a software problem.

Maybe a system update was buggy, because they were working until recently.

M

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One thing we have seen many times is the output jack get stuck in Optical Digital mode. With the speaker plug out of the jack, look down the jack's hole. Do you by any chance see a red light in the hole?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try this menubar item called SoundSource. It will let you change your output source among the various available ones. Make sure your Output is set to Line Out (assuming you are using the Line Out jack).

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks both of you but...

No red light, SoundSource tells me "output not supported" most options greyed out.

***?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks both of you but...

No red light, SoundSource tells me "output not supported" most options greyed out.

***?

Hmmm... that seems to suggest you have broken hardware or perhaps a driver corrupted or not loaded. To be sure... create a new user and log into that user. Do not install or import anything. If you continue to fail to hear anything, then you probably have a hardware issue. You may want to try running the Hardware Test, located on one of your factory CDs, and see what it has to say.
MacBook and MacBook Pro: Using Apple Hardware Test

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks life

No joy, new user makes no difference (can't find my factory CDs of course)

Unless anyone can think of anything else I have to take the Mac in

M

OP
M
Reaction score
Eureka!

Grey was right...Doh!.....I'm a tosser, been using Macs for 18 years, still cock it up.

Thanks guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.