Switcher NOOB!

Reaction score
I just bought my MBP off ebay at a great price! I've been a PC user for many many years. I just need something new in my life...I'm a dj so I needed something reliable. I don't know much about MACs, but I was wondering if there is some stuff I should know like maintenance some insider information I could use to my advantage that my pcs can't do.

I have MBP 3,1 running SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.3

I'm not lying when i say imma NOOB...The only other MAC product I've owned before MBP was a ITOUCH...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well if you really want inside information you should be looking at the "missing manual" series of books. And in particular the snow leopard one.

Also these are a few Apple links you should look into:

Apple - Mac OS X - Windows Compatibility - How Mac works with PCs
Apple - Support - Boot Camp
Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine
Apple - Support - Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard Time Machine
Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

Macs on the whole use the same intel hardware as windows boxes. The main difference is your Mac can use OS X, windows and linux. All natively (through bootcamp) or virtualised.

And for making music you have 3 applications native to OS X from Apple to do this. And as a DJer making music is pretty important.
Apple - Logic Studio
Apple - Logic Express
Apple - GarageBand - Learn to play music and record on your Mac.

Garageband is the lite version. Comes with your Mac in the ilife package
Logic Express is mid level. More features
And Logic studio or Logic pro is the full professional full featured package.
I would look into the links to see which one is right for you. And see what features you need and what price you're willing to pay.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Please learn this one thing before all else. It's a Mac. It's short for Macintosh, like the Apple. It's not MAC. That is an acronym for a networking address. PC stands for personal computer. Mac is short for Macintosh. Again. Not an acronym. Apple also doesn't have a product called the iTouch. It's the iPod Touch, though most will get what you mean. You still don't have to completely capitalize the name of every product. Thanks for understanding how annoying it is.

OP
D
Reaction score
"the8thark", thank you for all the links. I didn't really know where to start. I've been reading a few things here and there in the manual. Having the right tools is very important to me when creating music...

"Darkestritual" thanx MAC, geeze i told you guys i was noob, but i'm not stupid. I know what a MAC is I'm a certified CCNA...itouch is short for the ipod touch. If people know what i'm talkin about then coo, if not ask a question and shall receive a answer. I said MAC has i was excited and point more emphases on the product. Maybe i should of put MAC in italics as well... Sorry

THANX for heads up, Darkestritual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Please learn this one thing before all else. It's a Mac. It's short for Macintosh, like the Apple. It's not MAC. That is an acronym for a networking address. PC stands for personal computer. Mac is short for Macintosh. Again. Not an acronym. Apple also doesn't have a product called the iTouch. It's the iPod Touch, though most will get what you mean. You still don't have to completely capitalize the name of every product. Thanks for understanding how annoying it is.

The iTouch thing always bugs the crap out of me...it's an iPod touch. There's no such thing as an iTouch! Glad someone else agrees.

Anyways, OP, this forum (and the links the8thark provided) is a great place to start. If you ever run into problems or have a question, feel free to ask. And, above all, welcome to Mac (not "MAC"...;D)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't know much about MACs, ...The only other MAC product I've owned before MBP was a ITOUCH...

Here's a couple for your memory bank: It's a Mac, short for Macintosh, not an acronym like PC.* Also, there's no such thing as an ITOUCH, or an iTouch, for that matter. It's an iPod Touch. ;) (oops! fixed it)

*I know, I use MAC in my user name. That's because it looks best in that context, and is not part of a dialog about the Mac.

Another oops! blackmac is correct. (below) I obviously skipped over the other posts that say the same thing. My bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Ok, I think he gets it. We don't need three people telling him the exact same thing...

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanx Blackmac...You guys sure know how to drive people out of this forum...When i said I don't know much about Macs, its the advance info...

WOW

Gettin flamed on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Haha, mine wasn't meant so much as a flame, just a heads up. A lot of people do that, and I figured that was probably why you guys did that. Italics would have sufficed to show excitement, but yea, enough with beating a dead horse. :p

Anyway, looks like you have some computer experience... maybe look into Quicksilver by Blacktree. It really increases productivity. Also looking into how to script in a bash shell would help. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanx Blackmac...You guys sure know how to drive people out of this forum...When i said I don't know much about Macs, its the advance info...

WOW

Gettin flamed on...

Well, your responses to the other members correcting you didn't exactly smooth things over.

"Darkestritual" thanx MAC, geeze i told you guys i was noob, but i'm not stupid. I know what a MAC is I'm a certified CCNA...itouch is short for the ipod touch. If people know what i'm talkin about then coo, if not ask a question and shall receive a answer. I said MAC has i was excited and point more emphases on the product. Maybe i should of put MAC in italics as well... Sorry

THANX for heads up, Darkestritual

Capitalizing "MAC" again in your first sentence here is a little instigating.

Thanx MAC! :D

...and to do it again here is pushing people's buttons intentionally.

Respecting the forums' general spelling/capitalization guidelines, for clarification sake, will avoid a lot of these "back-and-forths".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Putting these useless arguments aside...

Apple has some great tutorial videos on their website, and I believe they have tutorial courses at some Apple Stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Mac = short for Macintosh
MAC = Media Access Control
mac = A general term used for a waterproof rubberised cloth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True and the whole point is not one of those 149 other things is Macintosh :)

Reaction score
I'm glad I stopped by this thread. You have some good info there the8thark, Thank You. I also know to make sure and get the upper and lowercase right so I don't upset anyone. Oh yea, and the proper terms. I'll do my best to keep everything proper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
MYMacROX-I was trying to be funny when I was capitalizing Mac. You know funny hahahah, you do have a sense of humor... right?

Too all the others, I know what MAC stands for...well in my field of work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
MYMacROX-I was trying to be funny when I was capitalizing Mac. You know funny hahahah, you do have a sense of humor... right?

Humor, sarcasm, and tone of voice seldom come across when typed out. The "smileys" are good for that. A person can avoid a lot of trouble that way.
Thought I would save you from future arguments or possibly being banned for instigating other members. You know, attempting to help. You do appreciate help... right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.