eMac G4, should I even think about the 1.25GHz model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
Interesting idea. If you change your mind & decide to make the eMac into a "regular" desktop computer...the eMac stand is pretty neat.:)

- Nick

Do you think those stands really make the machine that much nicer to work on? I find the angle of the screen to be just fine sitting on my desk.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you think those stands really make the machine that much nicer to work on? I find the angle of the screen to be just fine sitting on my desk.

While the angle of the screen may be fine without the stand...there may be times when tilting the screen up or down may come in handy. And of course...with the stand you can also swivel the eMac left & right. The eMac weighs about 50lbs....so the stand makes maneuvering it on your desktop much easier.

The stand is absolutely not a necessary item. I was only making you aware of it IF you happened to like it & wanted it.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
The stand is absolutely not a necessary item. I was only making you aware of it IF you happened to like it & wanted it.:)

- Nick

Cool. I was just wondering if I was really missing out by not having it. Might get one someday if I find one for the right price. My eMac is actually getting more regular use than my 2008 iMac due to it being in the living room.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. I was just wondering if I was really missing out by not having it. Might get one someday if I find one for the right price. My eMac is actually getting more regular use than my 2008 iMac due to it being in the living room.

50voltphantom,

Sorry...I got your question confused with the OP's (Sonicjet's) comments & info regarding the purchase of a 1.42ghz eMac. Plus I was also confused since you sounded like you already have an eMac...and "Sonicjet" just bought one on e-Bay yesterday...and I couldn't believe it would have been delivered already.

In any case...I had an eMac for a while before I found out about this eMac stand. I didn't think that this eMac stand was a very well known accessory...so whenever I see someone with an eMac...I pass along the info just in case they would want one. Then I found a used eMac stand on a website for $15 bucks...and thought what the heck...and got one. Because the eMac is so heavy...I think that the stand is really handy for adjusting tilt & swivel...and I kind of think that the eMac looks "neater" on the stand...kind of an R2D2 sort of look!;)

At only $15 bucks...what the heck.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
50voltphantom,

Sorry...I got your question confused with the OP's (Sonicjet's) comments & info regarding the purchase of a 1.42ghz eMac. Plus I was also confused since you sounded like you already have an eMac...and "Sonicjet" just bought one on e-Bay yesterday...and I couldn't believe it would have been delivered already.
- Nick
Monday says fedex, I'll take some good pics too, I have a Canon T1i.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Good work. You'll enjoy it immensely. You may have to change the backup battery in it, however. I keep moving my son's emac into different rooms to get it in tip top shape before Christmas, and it always gives me that stupid pop-up that the date is resetting to 1961 or whatever. I'll get around to that later, though. Minor annoyance.

Tell you what: love playing on this thing. In alot of ways more than I like my 2009 MBP.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Good work. You'll enjoy it immensely. You may have to change the backup battery in it, however. I keep moving my son's emac into different rooms to get it in tip top shape before Christmas, and it always gives me that stupid pop-up that the date is resetting to 1961 or whatever. I'll get around to that later, though. Minor annoyance.

Tell you what: love playing on this thing. In alot of ways more than I like my 2009 MBP.

Could be worse, the old G3's used to think they were in 1956 (Aug 20th to be exact.) :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Just Got my eMac 3 days early, will post pics when I get time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just Got my eMac 3 days early, will post pics when I get time.

Congrats! Getting it 3 days early during this busy shipping time of the year is pretty darn awesome!:)

Looking for forward to your thoughts...and your evaluation of your specific eMac.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very cool you got it so fast. Keep us posted and tell us what you think! Can't wait for the pics also.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Congrats! Getting it 3 days early during this busy shipping time of the year is pretty darn awesome!:)

Looking for forward to your thoughts...and your evaluation of your specific eMac.

- Nick

In one phrase?

Wickedly fast on tiger.

It is shocking really, the sound is good too, btw how on earth do you open the disk drive with a non Apple Keyboard?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is there a CD/DVd in the drive? That should be a slot load. If nothing is there, there will be no need to eject. Once you insert a CD/DVD, you just drag it to the trash, or Right (or CTRL) Click on the icon and click Eject. Also there is Eject in the Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities.

Also with a Disc in the drive from Finder and File there is an Eject also.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Is there a CD/DVd in the drive? That should be a slot load. If nothing is there, there will be no need to eject. Once you insert a CD/DVD, you just drag it to the trash, or Right (or CTRL) Click on the icon and click Eject. Also there is Eject in the Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities.

Also with a Disc in the drive from Finder and File there is an Eject also.

What if I want to put a disk in? :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I always thought the emac was a Slot loader! Me bad!

Someone will probably give you an easier way but look at the File Pull Down in Finder up in the bar by the Apple. See if Eject is there. If not like I said for now, open Disk Utility and hi light the optical drive and see if you can press eject.

This might help also.

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/osx-menuextras/index.shtml

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Sorry, I always thought the emac was a Slot loader! Me bad!

Someone will probably give you an easier way but look at the File Pull Down in Finder up in the bar by the Apple. See if Eject is there. If not like I said for now, open Disk Utility and hi light the optical drive and see if you can press eject.

This might help also.

How to Add Icons to Your OS X Menu Bar

That worked,thanks.:
EDIT:
Ok, So I have been using it for a while after wiping it and installing Tiger-server, Some impressions:
1: it is fast(faster than a DP 2.0 G5 running Leopard for example),boot is quick too.
2: Support for the PPC Mac is not dead! I installed Firefox and Opera 10.63 and it plays HTML5 very well, Grooveshark is very usable *(Once again,faster and better sounding then leopard G5 with Flash 10 on the old non html5 Grooveshark.)
3:Speaking of music...The Speakers are incredible! It's a very good reproduction of the sound, it's playing Barber's Adagio for Strings right now, it sounds great.
4:That is the best looking CRT I have ever seen!, You would think it's a LCD.
Thanks guys for your Support, I don't regret the purchase at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That worked,thanks.:
EDIT:
Ok, So I have been using it for a while after wiping it and installing Tiger-server, Some impressions:
1: it is fast(faster than a DP 2.0 G5 running Leopard for example),boot is quick too.
2: Support for the PPC Mac is not dead! I installed Firefox and Opera 10.63 and it plays HTML5 very well, Grooveshark is very usable *(Once again,faster and better sounding then leopard G5 with Flash 10 on the old non html5 Grooveshark.)
3:Speaking of music...The Speakers are incredible! It's a very good reproduction of the sound, it's playing Barber's Adagio for Strings right now, it sounds great.
Thanks guys for your Support, I don't regret the purchase at all.

They are oddly charming machines aren't they?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well....I would say that's debatable...we would have to run some benchmarks to be sure...but if you're happy...that's all that matters.:) A 1.42ghz processor running 10.4 should have pretty acceptable performance.

Great sound is always a plus!:)

Sounds like you got a good one!:) CRT's many times are the first thing to go on these things...glad you're pleased with the picture.

I've got two eMac's (a 700mhz & a 1.25ghz)...and the picture/display are great on both as well. I think that the "flat" screen helps a lot.

Congrats on your fine purchase,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Well what I meant by faster than a g5 was that it runs tiger better than the g5 runs leopard, from my experience that is, I have seen some low ram limits but it's not too bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.