• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
Hello out there in Mac land.
Ok New Pro. As a editing, burning, video geek I'm hearing all sorts of blah, blah, blah
relating to the New Mac pro. It shrunk! So there will be a few add ons to the new pro.
A video pro suggested to me, buy a 2013 left over, Six core, four bays, add on a b/r
player, burner. Add to the a second bay a 10,000 rpm h/d (one t/b) and with my editing skills (lol) i may be very happy with the older mac Pro. I'm interested in speed, accurate editing as we all know i movie is a great beginner editing software but it cracks under pressure so boys and girls give me some ides. Mac in South Florida (apple store) sales people tell me "Oh the old Mac pro has 2009 hardware and....... Oh what a decision. Editing is time consuming and i want a product that will not crash, fail after two hours of working as in i movie. I dvd that's another story. Mac got smart and done away with i dvd. Add on your own burning set up. :Confused:

Thanks to all out in Mac land TRYON:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Mac in South Florida (apple store) sales people tell me "Oh the old Mac pro has 2009 hardware and....... Oh what a decision.

Yes...the Mac Pro lineup really hasn't changed much from a hardware perspective since the 2009-2010 timeframe. So I agree with what the Apple Store folks told you. The Mac Pro line (hardware-wise)...has been "stale" for a pretty long time. This doesn't mean that they aren't powerful...just that they haven't changed much.

As far as a purchase decision between a current model Mac Pro...and the new Mac Pro...it really comes down to "Dollars & Cents"...and the fact that the new Mac Pro isn't available yet. I have a feeling the new Mac Pro is going to be VERY expensive...making the currently selling Mac Pro's look inexpensive in comparison (once the new Mac Pro is released...and its price is known).

And even though Apple says that the new Mac Pro is supposed to be available this Fall...there is always the chance that the release date could change. So if you can wait till the new Mac Pro is released...then wait. And even if you can wait (and don't have an unlimited budget)...you may find the new Mac Pro's price might be outside your budget.

If you need something right now (and can't wait another couple months or more for the new Mac Pro)...then the only choice you have is the current Mac Pro's.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
Pro
Mr. Nick. You are right on the $$$$$. If Mac over prices the new Pro they will kill off many of it's users. I can wait until it's release in the fall. :Cool:
I still have some research to do as far as an editing software that won't go wacky when editing a few hours.Plus Blue Ray dvd burning. My old duel core takes 2 and a half hours (mem. is 4gb can't take any more) to import H/D 45 minute video (mem. card) into i movie. Mac tells me If, if i have a quad core it would take less then half the time to import the same amt. of h/d video :\ How about that for an answer. From what i have heard, this is not accurate. I'm not sure at all. That's another story. I have come a long way with my video editing, burning now is the time to get up there with the big guy's. I'll wait......

Thanks Tryon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Pro
Mr. Nick. You are right on the $$$$$. If Mac over prices the new Pro they will kill off many of it's users. I can wait until it's release in the fall. :Cool:

I think it will knock out the Hobbyist Movie Makers and such, but the Pro's, will diving into this Mac Pro like there is no tomorrow.
The good thing about the old Mac Pro's are they are so user friendly and upgradable. You buy a refurbished on, which saves you $ then you go and get the Hardware to boost it to be a PowerHouse and a beast of a machine, which is why people still have the 2009 Mac Pro's, because they keep boosting the internals.
With the new Mac Pro, Apple says 10 years it will last you and yes it is a beast, and there is nothing out there to compare it with.

Accuracies come's down to the person behind the keyboard. There isnt a fully automated Video editor on the market, and i dont think there ever will be ;)

editing as we all know i movie is a great beginner editing software but it cracks under pressure so boys and girls give me some ides. Mac in South Florida (apple store) sales people tell me "Oh the old Mac pro has 2009 hardware and....... Oh what a decision. Editing is time consuming and i want a product that will not crash, fail after two hours of working as in i movie. I dvd that's another story. Mac got smart and done away with i dvd. Add on your own burning set up. :Confused:

Thanks to all out in Mac land TRYON:

iMovie is a great editor, but if you want to go pro, where for example, you need to edit out the number plate on a car, in iMovie this can be done, by Selecting the area, copy the area then open i Image editor and paste it in, then blur out the number plate. Then copy this blurred edit and pate it back into iMovie. This works very well IF the car is stationary, but if not, can be painfully done frame by frame, BUT in Final Cut Pro, this can be done using the ?? Blur Out Feature and will continually blur out the number as long as the car is in view . . .

Just gave that as a example, for you to get a idea of how powerful FCP is. They use it on Major Films now to do their editing, like Pixar movies, some have been edited with FCP as well as The Social Network

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
Thank to all of my Mac people out there.......
Tryon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I have a feeling the new line is going to be expensive. They use two 6GB AMD Firepro Workstation GPUs. I googled them and the median price for just one is around $2,500. So around $5,000 just for the GPUs in the new generation.

I suspect the entire thing will run you between 7 and 9,000 bucks for the baseline model. Only time will tell though.

Man are they gonna be powerful though! 7 teraflops of computing power in the GPU's alone is unreal. To put that into perspective, the current top of the line, maxed out iMacs run graphics cards @ 2.2 Tflops.

Does someone want to get me one of these for Christmas? ;)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
Mac Pro

WHOA!
Seven to Nine Thousand Dollars. Well that may leave me out. Plus add ons, plus, + +
:Not-Amused:Oh my aching Mac, wallet, lets see what will happen this fall.
Thanks for the information.......i hope it is not too (over kill) expensive

Tryon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
WHOA!
Seven to Nine Thousand Dollars. Well that may leave me out. Plus add ons, plus, + +
:Not-Amused:Oh my aching Mac, wallet, lets see what will happen this fall.
Thanks for the information.......i hope it is not too (over kill) expensive

Tryon

Well don't get depressed just yet :)

They might not be quite that expensive. There are a number of factors at play that could lead to a price that's less than that. Apple is most likely getting the components for cheaper than what you would pay at retail so just because that GPU is 2,500 bucks on google shopping, doesn't mean Apple is paying 2,500 bucks. It was just a ballpark estimate based on if you were to build your own Windows PC with comparable specs! Don't get depressed until Apple officially announces the price.

Also, the new Mac Pro line will be designed and built in the United States (rather than China) so people who buy one will be supporting more American jobs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Traditionally Mac Pro's have always been priced at a level that the average user would consider too expensive to purchase (due to the high end hardware & high performance compared to other Mac models).

Mac Pro's are really more intended for professionals. Of course for those individual users with "big-wallets"...good for them as well.:)

But considering the super high-end hardware in the new upcoming Mac Pro...and the claim that it will be usable for the next 10 years...I'm expecting it to cost more than the "normal" high end introductory price for previous Mac Pro models.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.