1GB to 2GB RAM, worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone
Hello all,

Last year I purchased my daughter a 2GHZ MacBook (white) that came with 1GB of RAM. For Christmas this year, I was hoping to install some sort of program that would allow her to use Windows and up her RAM to 2GB. Would the extra RAM be beneficial for her (just installed Leopard, if that matters). On my Dell laptop, when I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB, I didn't see much of a difference but I'm sure this MacBook is a different animal.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Hello all,

Last year I purchased my daughter a 2GHZ MacBook (white) that came with 1GB of RAM. For Christmas this year, I was hoping to install some sort of program that would allow her to use Windows and up her RAM to 2GB. Would the extra RAM be beneficial for her (just installed Leopard, if that matters). On my Dell laptop, when I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB, I didn't see much of a difference but I'm sure this MacBook is a different animal.

Cheers!

If youll be running Windows Vista, the differnece will be quite dramatic...not so much in OS X. It will make it a little bit snappier but dont expect it to be a whole new machine. Youll notice it most in memory intensive tasks like heavy photo and video editing more than anyhting else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM. Also; Intel Macbook 2Ghz, Intel MacMini 1.83Ghz
If you install parallels and run Win XP or other I recommend you add the additional 1GB of RAM. Parallels running on OSX Tiger with 1GB of Ram cripples OSX applications, all becomes quite sluggish and painful. My experience with a Mac Mini 1.8Ghz and 1GB Ram was conclusive to go to 2GB Ram - ran very well. Parallels under Leopard is not fully right yet - depends on how mission critical the windows apps are, or just for fun (is fun the right word for running windows? - no, I think necessity: otherwise none of us would do it!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
there is a difference in OSX from 1gb to 2gb, but less of one from 2->4 (depending on basic usage)

for 50$ you can get 1gbx2, highly recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM. Also; Intel Macbook 2Ghz, Intel MacMini 1.83Ghz
Hello all,

Cheers!

You might want to look at the thread called Parallels/Leopard question as this is relevant to your question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Running either Parallels or Fusion with less than 2GB would be frustrating with XP. Trying to run Vista with less than 2GB is just plan CRAZY :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Running either Parallels or Fusion with less than 2GB would be frustrating with XP. Trying to run Vista with less than 2GB is just plan CRAZY :)

I would never run vista with less than 2GB, that is a hog.

but thats how its supposed to work, so good job MS for making an OS finally that uses all ram instead of leaving it unused. I never in all my years understood why OSes did do something like what Vista employs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
There is the law of diminishing returns working with RAM! 0.5Gb>-1Gb MASSIVE improvement, 1Gb>-1.5 or 2Gb NICE improvement, 2Gb >-4Gb improvement, 4GB ++ possible improvement !!

I have 1.5Gb in my iBook and there was a really noticeable improvement over the standard 0.5Gb. I am running 6Gb on the Mac pro which shows no real improvement over 4Gb MOST of the time (only really with serious photo manipulations)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
yes its worth it but would reccommend 3gb if you have the money

OP
InvalidUserID
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

I will definately be bumping the RAM up to the 2GB (max for this model) since it is only $50 or so.

fiveightandten...thanks for the vids.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Question here does the ram have to be from the apple website or can I just get the ram that will be suitable to this laptop which is the DDR2 SDRAM?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Whatever you do, jj213, do NOT buy it from apple. It is roughly 4 times the cost of getting it from crucial.com or newegg.com

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
Yes, do it, believe me it will be better in the long run. If there any problems with the Ram sticks, I heard you can get your money back or brand new ones cause of the delicate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
With 2 gigs, you can do anything and not worry about the system chugging. The CPU can definitely handle it, so your kind of bringing it closer to its real potential.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.