iPad blasphemy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
OK, I know this is going to be blasphemous, but other than having my books on the iPad, I am quite a bit underwhelmed. To start this off right it is a phenomenal peace of technology, however, I do most of my work on the MBP, and a lot of article reading on the iPhone 4 prior to my purchase of the iPad.

I bought the 64 GB WiFi model in white. I got the gray smart cover and the Stealth Armor cover.

I have not owned the 1st version of the iPad, so this is new to me. Again the larger screen to read books and forums is the main reason I bought the iPad. I am beginning to think I could have bought something considerably cheaper for what I need.

So the question is, should I just sell it and get a basic document reader? Or give it a little more time?

OP
mtbinva
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do A LOT with my MBP...so I have a tough time scaling the tasks down.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If all you're going to do with it is read, sell it and buy a Kindle or Nook.
I love my iPad, but I use it as an everyday replacement for my MBP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's precisely why I haven't purchased an iPad to date. I'm comfortable with my current paradigm (a laptop for general computing, and a desktop for gaming) and the iPad just doesn't fit in. It's not really powerful enough to do all of the things I use my MacBook Pro for, and it's not small enough to fit in my pocket (like my iPhone is).

I would say that if you are a big proponent of desktops for general purpose computing, but you want something like a notebook/netbook to surf the web on while you're sitting on the couch, then an iPad makes a lot of sense. But if you're already using a notebook for most of your computing tasks, it's kind of redundant - especially the high end models of the iPad, that are within spitting distance of a low-end MacBook/Air price-wise.

OP
mtbinva
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. But I go to sites like this and a bunch of Forensic forums to that makes it nice to keep current and up to date.

I'll give it another couple weeks. It seems I'll have no issue with selling if need be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Sounds like you need a good used or refurb first gen 16 gb wifi. It'll do what you need for a lot cheaper, but you'll still have an iPad for exploring apps and such. It's usefulness may grow on you over time.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That's precisely why I haven't purchased an iPad to date. I'm comfortable with my current paradigm (a laptop for general computing, and a desktop for gaming) and the iPad just doesn't fit in. It's not really powerful enough to do all of the things I use my MacBook Pro for, and it's not small enough to fit in my pocket (like my iPhone is).

I would say that if you are a big proponent of desktops for general purpose computing, but you want something like a notebook/netbook to surf the web on while you're sitting on the couch, then an iPad makes a lot of sense. But if you're already using a notebook for most of your computing tasks, it's kind of redundant - especially the high end models of the iPad, that are within spitting distance of a low-end MacBook/Air price-wise.

This is the same case with me. I could use one but I don't need one.

Just today I went to the museum and saw someone use it to take a picture of a quilt. I smiled as I was trying to get past them.

I don't want to buy one and use it like that. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I started out exactly this way. I have a MBP for me and my wife has an MBA. She had an iPod touch and I had an iPhone - why would I need an iPad? Anyway my second child was born - so I bought an iPad for my wife figuring she could use it one handed (more or less) while feeding.

Everything that everyone says is true. For general purpose computing the iPad is NOT a replacement. That being said - most tasks for most people on the computer are not general purpose computing tasks - they are media consumption tasks - which the iPad excels. Email, Web Browsing, listening to music, watching movies (other than flash) all work quite well on the iPad - the big screen helps with all of it as well (bigger than an iPhone at any rate)

So why did my wife keep the iPad 1? Why did I order an iPad 2?
-First and foremost as a media consumption device the iPad rocks. The battery life and form factor are great for just about anywhere - vs a laptop really needs some kind of sitting arrangement to use - and Power can become an issue for long travel days.
-Secondly as a viewing station for created media (photos and videos) it is also more convenient than a laptop. With the camera kit - I can view my photos and videos on a larger screen. I also have a contour helmet cam - it is a great way to view these videos without having to carry a full on laptop.
-Thirdly - notetaking. There is a thread where I talk about taking notes on the iPad.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/233026-taking-notes-ipad.html
To summarize - it is more pen and paper like - and doesn't feel as impersonal as busting out a laptop and typing away - when I meet with clients.
-Lastly - I can also remotely access many of my machines and work machines though team viewer, citrix, ssh, etc giving me a very nice thin client in the iPad.

As stated before, you can do this on a laptop - but given the choice of carrying my 6.6lb MBP or a 1.3lb iPad - the choice is pretty clear unless I am running CAD software, doing heavy Office work, or heavy Photo/video editing. And if it comes to it - I can remotely log into a real machine in a pinch.

Justifying the cost - well that is a different matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
It is a real "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" that should be enough reason to keep it ;P

On a more serious note though, I have 3 computers that I deal with. My 4 year old MacBook, which is doing great as my current HTPC, I have a Linux beast of a laptop that I do all my code and my heavy duty work on, and a third workstation for... Wait, where would the iPad fit in all this?

The iPad is phenomenal and shines when I am running into a meeting where we have to review a lot of documents, I download all the PDF, or office docs to my iPad and Boom! No more shuffling papers in the meeting.

Also, some times I need access to some of my PDFs but lugging around my laptop is just not practical, again, the iPad to the rescue, even if I don't have said document on my iPad all I have to do is cruise to the website or email where that particular document is and bresto!

Another biggie for me is traveling. I travel across country (from San Fran to North Carolina) at least once a quarter, plus some other trips all over the year. It is a great feeling to carry you iPad through the check point and read, your books, watch movies, and listen to music and still have 50% battery when you get to the other end of your trip.

One more thing... All my casual web browsing, and paying bills is done on my iPad 2 now. It simply makes the interwebs more personal.

But to each his own... Give your self some time if money isn't an issue you might end up appreciating more. If not, they are still selling like hotcakes on eBay, heck you mit even make some money off of it.

Cheers,

Mina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Too many folks think the iPad is a computer

It most decidedly is not a computer. You will never load software on it in the traditional sense. If you think of it as a larger iPod Touch, that is more in line with what it is. Shows your videos on a screen large enough to view, allows you to watch TV anywhere, small light package to read your books and magazines on with a screen large enough to actually see, read and respond to your email easily, and, of course shop and surf the web.

That is what this device is all about - small, light, portable, convenience. If you need a computer, use a computer. Just don't plan on carrying it as easily as the iPad. With the possible exception of the MacBook Air but that is twice the size of the iPad and only has 64-128 gig of storage on the 11" model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have to admit... I find my iPad a bit underwhelming also. Don't get me wrong... I do like it for how we use it, and we did replace our MacBook Pro with it (which was overkill for how we used that), so it is working out much better for us. But people who are just all in love with it and call it "magical"... I don't get it. I really don't. It may be because portable computing isn't a great need for me. Maybe I'm just used to iOS since I've had an iPhone since early on. Maybe it's because a surprisingly large number of apps/games I have on my iPhone have yet to make versions with iPad-friendly resolutions, and I strongly dislike having to settle for a 2x magnification. I really don't like using it as an e-reader. I think this may change if/when they go the Retina Display route with it, because right now I don't think the text is sharp enough to be enjoyable as an e-reader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

Just today I went to the museum and saw someone use it to take a picture of a quilt. I smiled as I was trying to get past them.

I felt the same way but I use mine to help with designing since it seems a lot of design is going digital. but I for sure did not need it. An iPad is not a necessity that is certain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Text appearance as e-reader

Interesting. My text is razor sharp on both my iPad and iPad2. That is one of the main uses I have for it - reading books. You may have a screen protector installed that is getting in the way of clarity.

Of the 360,000 apps available for both iPhone and iPad only 65,000 are aimed at the iPad. Only 65,000. Not bad when you consider that the iPad has just been in existence for one year as of yesterday. Happy birthday iPad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Interesting. My text is razor sharp on both my iPad and iPad2. That is one of the main uses I have for it - reading books. You may have a screen protector installed that is getting in the way of clarity.

Razor sharp? Lol! No, there's no screen protector, just a comparison against my wife's iPhone 4, which does have razor-sharp text. The iPad does look good, but not as good as my wife's iPhone 4, nor printed text. Not by a long shot.

Of the 360,000 apps available for both iPhone and iPad only 65,000 are aimed at the iPad. Only 65,000. Not bad when you consider that the iPad has just been in existence for one year as of yesterday. Happy birthday iPad!

That's all well and fine, but it doesn't change the fact that of what *I* use, many are not iPad friendly right now.

C

chas_m

When I got my iPad (xmas), I found that it almost immediately asserted itself as my "leisure activity computer" and made my laptop an "all-work" computer.

IOW, I do fun things on the iPad. Reading, surfing, email, games, videos (not much music, I have an iPhone for that). I will eventually get a BT keyboard and give "serious writing" on it a go, but so far it's just been a fun machine, which means I don't have to sit at my desk to do "fun" things with my notebook (which 90% of the time just sits on my desk, as my job is very desk-bound).

In short, this separation of duties has been a good thing.

Reaction score

Well, the camera can be used in a pinch, but the quality is not that great. The camera on the Motorola Xoom is better. I will get a iPad 2 eventually, but I want a Motorola Xoom first. I want to see what all the hype is about android honeycomb. Take care and may God bless.

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
Well, the camera can be used in a pinch, but the quality is not that great. The camera on the Motorola Xoom is better. I will get a iPad 2 eventually, but I want a Motorola Xoom first. I want to see what all the hype is about android honeycomb. Take care and may God bless.

Ed

Loving my Xoom! I'm excited about Honeycomb as well. I feel like a pioneer with Honeycomb.

Reaction score
OK, I know this is going to be blasphemous, but other than having my books on the iPad, I am quite a bit underwhelmed. To start this off right it is a phenomenal peace of technology, however, I do most of my work on the MBP, and a lot of article reading on the iPhone 4 prior to my purchase of the iPad.

I bought the 64 GB WiFi model in white. I got the gray smart cover and the Stealth Armor cover.

I have not owned the 1st version of the iPad, so this is new to me. Again the larger screen to read books and forums is the main reason I bought the iPad. I am beginning to think I could have bought something considerably cheaper for what I need.

It is an expensive reader if that is all you will do. But major changes are coming with the introduction of Thunderbolt with MBP and there is a patent on a 30 pin connector that also includes Thunderbolt. With the release of FinalCut Pro for $299 and Adobe releasing three new creative apps for iPad2 it will become a major creative interface... then the heavy stuff is done on the big macs. The other posts have given you a mundane stuff ... if you are into gaming, the new graphics performance is awesome, and the new games coming will be amazing.

It is the wide versatility that is so attractive with the new iPad2. I added an Apple Wireless BT keyboard, works like a champ. I found that by using in to the left side, the iPad2 is now a monitor, and the placement is EZ reach sort of mouse like with the touch screen actions. I love it. You decide.

I don't like adding the thin films over the beautiful display. Gorilla Glass is super tough, and in my opinion I think in degrades the touch sensitivity, and reading clarity. IMHO.

Reaction score
...I found that it almost immediately asserted itself as my "leisure activity computer" and made my laptop an "all-work" computer...In short, this separation of duties has been a good thing.

That ^^ is what I find the iPad good for. My PC is in one room of the house and that is where I used to spend a good deal of my time. However now that I have an iPad for Email, Web, and youtube, I no longer am chained to that room. I find myself sitting on my front porch, rear deck, living room, etc... all using my iPad wi-fi doing the same things I used to do on my PC.

Of course my iPad cant do many of the things that my PC can do, but when I really started using my iPad I realized that I didnt do nearly as many of the non-iPad-capable items as I had thought. In short the room that I used to basically live in, i now visit a couple of times a week.

Reaction score
The I pad 2 is my first I pad as well. I loved it at first. I got pages, number, etc, etc. Then, I bought the Zagg case with Bluetooth keyboard. After I got the case I lost interest. It made the I pad a little note book and I did not buy it for that. I bought it for chilling around the house, reading forums, playing games, and handling easy work spread sheets etc. It's definitely not a Laptop replacement, but it does compliment my MBP and other simple tasks very well.

Overall, its an awesome device. I def enjoy it and that's what matters. However, with that being said, I could def live without it, and in the end I'm glad I have a MBP because an I pad alone would not be enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.