replaced hard drive now can't install OS

Reaction score
I replaced a hard drive on my white intel imac and everything went okay. Now that it is all back together I can start up off of the install discs and it goes through all the screens (grey apple, and everything) but when I get to the "where would you like to install this software" screen it can't see the hard drive. I bought an SATA Seagate Barracuda Hard drive, same size as my old one and I'm confused.

Do I have to sap the PRAM or format the hard drive in some way before installing on it? Do I have to used the original install discs? (tiger) I'm using Leopard discs now but they're not the upgrade, they are standard, so there shouldn't be a problem. I'm 99% sure everything was connected right, and the hard drive was brand new, so I'm stumped. I'm trying not to have to pop it open again, please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
You need to partition the drive first.

When you get to the installation screen the menubar above you should find something called "Tools" or "Utilities". In that menu you should find Disk Utility. Open disk utility, partition your hard drive and you should be ready to install after that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I replaced a hard drive on my white intel imac and everything went okay. Now that it is all back together I can start up off of the install discs and it goes through all the screens (grey apple, and everything) but when I get to the "where would you like to install this software" screen it can't see the hard drive. I bought an SATA Seagate Barracuda Hard drive, same size as my old one and I'm confused.

You need to format the hard drive first. When you are doing the OS install...when you get to the step where you are supposed to choose a destination device to install the OS (and your new hard drive doesn't show up)...you need to go to the menu bar & open "Disk Utility". Then format the hard drive.

Now quit Disk Utility, return to the installer, and your hard drive should show up now.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ever considered just cloning your old hard drive to the new one? It's easy and all you need is a cheap USB to SATA adapter, available at most decent computer stores for less than $20.

OP
C
Reaction score
I can't clone the drive because it officially died. But I think the Disk Utility route with formating the drive is what I was thinking... I'll try that tonight and cross my fingers. THANKS EVERYONE!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.