iPad WiFi connectivity

Reaction score
I just got an iPad and boy I like this machine, however I can't figure out how to share my iPhone 4's connection with it since I got the WiFi model of iPad.

Is there a way, is there some app for this? :\

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You mean teathering? Not sure that's possible..if you got the WiFi version of the iPad, then you'll need a WiFi connection to use it..

Regards

OP
A
Reaction score
You mean teathering? Not sure that's possible..if you got the WiFi version of the iPad, then you'll need a WiFi connection to use it..

Regards

I'm not sure what to call it :p when I'm home I have the AirPort Extreme and it works like a charm, but when there is no WiFi connection like when I'm on my way to work I would like to use the iPhone 4's 3G network, sharing connection dosent do it as I have tried several times.

Ps, cheers for fast respond!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct..using the network of another device (phone usually) is called "tethering" and that isn't really supported and how it's meant to work..

If you are going to be traveling in places with your iPad where there is no WiFi available, then you'd need to get the WiFi+3G version and pay the AT&T monthly fee to use the 3G network..

Regards

OP
A
Reaction score
Correct..using the network of another device (phone usually) is called "tethering" and that isn't really supported and how it's meant to work..

If you are going to be traveling in places with your iPad where there is no WiFi available, then you'd need to get the WiFi+3G version and pay the AT&T monthly fee to use the 3G network..

Regards

I don't live in the states, and since I thought this would be possible I got subscription or say signed a data plan with really high monthly fee for my iPhone so I could call, SMS, mms, and use 3G with no restriction what so ever.

I guess conclusion is buy a iPad with 3G and get the same plan for it as the phone.

...SLIME ENCRUSTED SNAILS me of however that connection between two of their own devices won't just work..

Thanks man.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple has never said that it would work..I don't know if it's possible to make this work if you jailbreak the iPad (assuming that's possible) or what not..

Since Apple specifically makes a version with 3G, allowing it to be tethered to an iPhone would essentially negate it's use..

Regards

Reaction score
You need that little mini router that most cell phone companies can provide for a nominal fee. Or you need 3G iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There are several apps available if you jailbreak your iphone.

Or use a MyFi device (3g mobile router) as previously suggested.

There's no 'official' method of iPhone to iPad tethering

C

chas_m

Or you could just get a MiFi type device and not have to jailbreak or hack anything at all. Pretty simple solution really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's only simple if you want to fork over a sizable chunk of money every month and carry around an additional device that only works for a few hours.

I would much rather go through the simple process of jailbreaking and making a one-time purchase of MyWi and then tether as I please as opposed to tying myself down with another data contract.

Reaction score
It's only simple if you want to fork over a sizable chunk of money every month and carry around an additional device that only works for a few hours.

I would much rather go through the simple process of jailbreaking and making a one-time purchase of MyWi and then tether as I please as opposed to tying myself down with another data contract.
My thoughts exactly

C

chas_m

Fair point. I was thinking of the My-Fi type devices as a better idea because they create an entire network rather than a 1:1 tethering solution. But you're right, for people who only need a 1:1 solution, MyWi (once jailbroken) would do the job nicely.

Reaction score
Fair point. I was thinking of the My-Fi type devices as a better idea because they create an entire network rather than a 1:1 tethering solution. But you're right, for people who only need a 1:1 solution, MyWi (once jailbroken) would do the job nicely.

MyWi creates a discoverable WiFi network just like a Sprint or Verizon hotspot.
I've had 3 devices running off mine and still used my phone

PDANet, on the other hand, has to be set up as ad-hock

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.