Windows automatically closing when switching applications

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I really hope someone will be able to lend me a hand. Whenever I switch between programs, the one being opened automatically closes whichever window I was viewing.

In other words, as I browse the web on Safari, and choose to open up a Finder window, the Safari window is automatically closed. This occurs between every single program.

At no time am I able to have 2 windows open at the same time. I'm somewhat new to Macs, but I do have a degree in Computer Science and still can't figure this out. To answer some obvious questions, this has nothing to do with Spaces or ANY setting within.

I believe it has something to do with me using Google Chrome Full screen. However now, even out of full screen, regardless of what programs are open (including Chrome), the problem remains. Please help as I am desperate. Much appreciation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What is your OS version? Assuming it's some version of OSX, please clarify the meaning of windows closing. Is it that it's "docked"?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't tell from your video as it's too small and things are happening too fast, but it may have something to do with your Dock preferences.

Click on the Apple in the upper left of your screen and choose "Dock", then choose Dock preferences. Take a look at how applications are being minimized to the Dock.

And, do you have any desktop enhancement utilities loaded? Anything that changes the desktop behavior, icons, Dock, etc?

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

In the video, I was just illustrating how switching between any two windows automatically minimizes the current window. I'm sure it looks confusing and fast I apologize for that. Pretty much just clicking between any two applications.

I've gone over the doc settings, and there isn't anything there unfortunately.

As for the desktop enhancements: Unfortunately this is also where I've started thinking the problem originated. I got a little over zealous when I first got the Mac and dove in a little too fast.

I have Onyx, though it isn't a setting that I've found in there.

I had a theme changer (Theme Park I believe), that I've since uninstalled. I am near certain this is where the problem originated. Besides a system restore, is there a way to default back to the original preferences in their entirety? I.e all settings even those that aren't listed in a user preference pane?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's a possibility the theme changer altered the way the desktop behaves. As with most desktop enhancement utilities, certain core functions are changed in order to give whatever effect the utility offers. Most can be undone by removing the utility. However, there are some utilities which even when removed, leave the changes in place.

Can you tell us which theme changer you installed and which method of uninstallation you used to remove it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Can you tell us which theme changer you installed and which method of uninstallation you used to remove it?

I had a theme changer (Theme Park I believe), that I've since uninstalled. I am near certain this is where the problem originated. Besides a system restore, is there a way to default back to the original preferences in their entirety? I.e all settings even those that aren't listed in a user preference pane?

Go into /Library/Application Support/Theme Park.

If the Theme Park part of the file is there drag it to the trash as well. I just dl it and applied a theme and it doesnt have a uninstaller. But when i dragged it to the trash AppTrap asked me if i wanted to trash the associated file so i dare say its still sitting in there. Once done log out then back in and all should be ok

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas fellas. I tried the suggestions and even with AppTrap I had no luck. I am certain it has something to do with a third party theme package. I'm afraid there is no other option but to do a restore. Thanks for the help though guys

OP
H
Reaction score
Ok now I am just baffled. I did a system restore and it is still doing it???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WHat have you dl ova the last week and installed ??
Maybe try to re-install Theme Park and then Trash it again with AppTrap installed ??
Try Repairing Permissions or run Oynx log out then back in. Is Oynx the correct .v for the OS you are using as this could cause havoc with the system if it was incorrect . . .
Open Activity Monitor and see what processes are running. You might be able to see the culprit and force quit it then go looking for that App/File/Folder ??

Just throwing things out there now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
When you say restore, did you do a clean install or just standard install?

Maybe also give setting up a new user account a go and see if it happens there.

OP
H
Reaction score
When you say restore, did you do a clean install or just standard install?

Maybe also give setting up a new user account a go and see if it happens there.

You sir, are a genius. Can NOT believe I never thought to just create a new account. Problem solved instantly. Thank you, so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Ok... since the issue doesn't exist in the new user account, but does in the old, the plist file you need to delete is probably located in /Users/youruserid/Library/Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok... since the issue doesn't exist in the new user account, but does in the old, the plist file you need to delete is probably located in /Users/youruserid/Library/Preferences.

...perhaps com.apple.finder.plist

OP
H
Reaction score

It was indeed! Problem solved. Thank you all soo much for your help. You can't imagine how frustrating this has been for me!

Reaction score
I am having the same problem... It's making me nuts. Tried to delete the com.apple.finder.plist but it didn't solve the problem.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey buddy. The easiest fix is just to create a new user account and delete your current account. Takes about 20 seconds. You don't by chance have rightzoom installed do you?

Reaction score
Ok. I will do that!! Is there a simple way to transfer my files from one account to the other ?

Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.