Why is my unchecked music in iTunes still syncing to my iPhone?

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 upgraded to IOS5, and I sync with iTunes 10.5 on my iMAC.

I'm seeing the following problem: I purchased an album on my iPhone recently, and then synced with iTunes to transfer this music to the iMAC.

I then later decided to not have this particular music/album on my iPhone, and ensured that this album was "unchecked" as part of the sync settings. When I synced, I presumed that I would see iTunes remove this album off my iPhone, thereby creating more room on the phone. This didn't happen.

I then deliberately deleted this album off my iPhone, and then synced again. I noted that iTunes transferred the album back to my phone, despite the sync settings (unchecked).

I then checked the album...synced...then unchecked again...synced again...to see if that would help. But no luck.

What am I not understanding about the sync process with iTunes and iPhone? Is it something to do with the fact that I purchased the album on the phone versus via iTunes on the MAC?

thx

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
To do what you want, you need to open the Summary tab, head down to the Options section and put a checkmark in the 'Sync only checked songs and videos' option.

OP
B
Reaction score
Arggh

Thank you for the reply, and I would have thought that was the answer - I was excited to try it.

But even after that setting, it seems that iTunes still wants to sync back to my phone any music that I've purchased on my iPhone. Weird...any other thoughts?

I noted that it does this also with a Beatles song I purchased earlier in the week (on my iPhone).

Thank you-

Reaction score
Me also

I'm having a similar problem! Unchecked songs continue to play on phone. ***! Also some purchased and loaded iTunes songs do not play at all. After installation of ios5 music and videos have become an issue of not playing songs I paid for, playing songs I don't want (unchecked) and seemingly random freezes when playing music on shuffle mode. Pls help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
After doing what bobtomay said you did sync again correct.

Reaction score
yes, the unchecked songs are still syncing to my iPhone. I think that they are syncing over my wifi network, someone else on my network may be buying songs which automatically sync to my iPhone. Not sure though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
yes, the unchecked songs are still syncing to my iPhone. I think that they are syncing over my wifi network, someone else on my network may be buying songs which automatically sync to my iPhone. Not sure though.

Are you using iCloud and check your settings?

Reaction score
yes, the unchecked songs are still syncing to my iPhone. I think that they are syncing over my wifi network,

Yeah, I'm far from an expert but it sounds like your phone might be syncing through iCloud automatically through your WiFi network. If your phone is set to sync through iCloud AND you sync through iTunes, I believe it results in duplication. Check on phone: Settings>iCloud>Storage & Back-up>iCloud Backup=OFF
Just a thought....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It'll be in the 'purchased on my iPhone' playlist. It's that that's ensuring it's synced.

If you prevent that playlist syncing with your iPhone or remove the playlist from iTunes it will stop re-syncing the tracks.

As an aside I'd also suggest using playlists to sync music rather than checking/unchecking particular particular tracks. Makes things much easier to manage.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. I checked my iCloud settings and those are not the problem, my backup is set to off. I also chose to not sync purchases, and I made a new playlist that includes every song I have that is checked. This is a solution to the problem, not the cleanest or most efficient one but it got the job done. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.