Help -cant get the CD out of the drive

S

smo

I kicked off with the boot camp assistant, and when the request for XP installation came, I blew it: I inserted the wrong CD (dont ask how this can happen, not now at least). The system is stuck, because it does not know how to boot off hard disk and on the other side, I cant get the DVD out of the drive.

I have the case opened, so far no damage, but looking at the drive I am just scared sh*less of pushing too hard in the wrong place.

Any idea how to release the mechanics and get the d*ned CD out of the drive on mini MAC?

TiA

smo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
As soon as you turn on the computer click and hold your mouse and it will eject the disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I don't know exactly but alot of drives have a manual eject feature on them.
Normally it's below the actual drive under a faceplate cover. C heck the Support website of that particular Drive

Edit: Do what he said, sounds a **** of a lot easier :)

OP
S

smo

As soon as you turn on the computer click and hold your mouse and it will eject the disc

It will not. It just ignores the mouse and freezes up with a black screen and some hex (? - cant see all of the line) numbers at the top left.

re producer of the drive: it just says produced accoring to apple specifications - no producer as far as I can see.

smo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Turn the power on with the power button and hold Command-Option-O-F -- this will boot you into open firmware. Now type eject cd and wait until the CD pops out. Type mac-boot and you should go back to OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
theres some rep for you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey compadre, nice to see another face from munich around here...
Instead of shipping it off, you could also take it to GRAVIS in the Lindwurmstr. they have a certified apple repair centre.

Alternatively, if you have a second mac, you might be able to boot yours into firewire target mode and reinstall OS X from there, after which you should be able to eject the CD normally.

OP
S

smo

Gravis in Lindwurm? Good point - thanks a mil

Hey compadre, nice to see another face from munich around here...

I feel stupid like h*l, but I guess this kind of disaster (or bar mitzvah,,,) is ... entertaining? ... for the audience: I'm switching from 100% windows to something less than that. Baptism of firewire(sg)

Re getting another MAC to bootstrap the situation - feasible, but for me it's enough to break one MAC for now. I'll try not to think of how low I have fallen for the next 24 hours (g).

And I liked what I have seen so far (but that's a natural to a Mac user)....

Thanks again

smo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.