Macbook air's external superdrive not working with macbook pro

Reaction score
I have a macbook air and macbook pro. currently i'm only using macbook pro, and the inbuilt supedrive seems to have developed some fault, in the sense it keeps rejecting the discs i put into them (and trust me, they're all original. It even rejected the system set up disks !!!). Well, so i thought about using the external superdrive that i'd purchased with the macbook air but even that is not accepting the discs. I mean they're not going in at all.

Can anyone help? Does macbook pro (the latest model) not support external superdrives?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, the MacBook Air Superdrive only works with the MacBook Air. See the Apple description of the drive and read the reviews. LINK One reason why most agree that it's not worth purchasing.

Second, try cleaning the drive in your MBP. Cleaning kits are readily available at most stores which sell computers and accessories. If cleaning the drive doesn't work, then you'll probably have to replace it. Is your MBP still under warranty?

Regards.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thats weird cause when i called the customer care, they wernt sure whether the external superdrive worked with MBP or not. If its that definitive, they shud've known.

Anyways, thanks for the tip. Will try the cleaning kit and if that doesnt work, yes my MBP is still under warranty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thats weird cause when i called the customer care, they wernt sure whether the external superdrive worked with MBP or not. If its that definitive, they shud've known.

I don't think that this would be the first or last time someone got incorrect info from any manufacturers or stores customer service folks.

I do agree...this is a pretty definitive situation...and the customer service folks should know this! Of course (according to your post)...they did say they weren't sure...which is a heck of a lot better than telling you the external MBA drive would work with a MBP.;)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes, just to reemphasize, they did mention that they were not sure and that i'd have to try a couple of things to see if it'll work or not :) .... and quite an optimist there Mr. pigoo3 for extracting a worse outcome out of an already a bad situation !!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
.... and quite an optimist there Mr. pigoo3 for extracting a worse outcome out of an already a bad situation !!!

Some folks consider their current situation to be really really terrible...and they never really consider that things could be much much worse!:( That's why sometimes I like to stop & think "optimistically"...yes this situation could be worse!

So having a problem where an external MacBook Air optical drive won't work with a MacBook Pro (because they're incompatible)...and getting questionable info from customer service folks...really isn't that bad!:) All of the hardware is 100% fully operational...it's not like anything is broken!

Also...if you thought that the info you got from customer service was questionable you could have done two things straight away:

- post a specific question here at Mac-Forums...such as, "Is an external MBA optical drive compatible with a MBP?"
- you could have "Googled" your question...and probably gotten an answer in about 2 milliseconds!;)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
lol ... right :) ... i guess did practically put up the question as u've suggested but in a slightly different light, thus this thread !!! ... "Can anyone help? Does macbook pro (the latest model) not support external superdrives?"

and you're absolutely right abt the part where all of the hardware is 100% functional :)

i usually dont rely on the customer care info but apple's one of the few ones that i actually do trust ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He was given the answer and even a link to verify it. And our moderator also gave him an Apple link to verify what he was already told here. I don't know who he spoke with at customer care, but if had spoken with a technician at support they would have give him the correct answer.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
V
Reaction score
@chscag: yup, got my answer ... thanx :)

@pigoo3: now this is what i call really helpful info without even looking for it !!! thanx, this'll help ... guess i'm gonna get one tomm itself !!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chscag: yup, got my answer ... thanx :)

@pigoo3: now this is what i call really helpful info without even looking for it !!! thanx, this'll help ... guess i'm gonna get one tomm itself !!!

Awesome! The folks at OWC (the link above) are really really good.

- Good prices
- Good return policy
- Fast Shipping
- And normally good/great customer service (but most likely prone to the occasional error like your previous customer service experience)!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I don't think that this would be the first or last time someone got incorrect info from any manufacturers or stores customer service folks.

I do agree...this is a pretty definitive situation...and the customer service folks should know this! Of course (according to your post)...they did say they weren't sure...which is a heck of a lot better than telling you the external MBA drive would work with a MBP.;)

- Nick

Nah I've worked customer service and sales or whatnot and I hate it when people just say "I don't know." without trying to find the answer, thats either lazyness or apathy, both of which is unacceptable in customer service in my opinion. I don't let people off the hook for not trying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.