Memoy question?

Reaction score
I have tried to research this myself, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information.

I have one of the first unibody Macbook pro's with the 2.53 GHz processor in it. Will the machine take 8GB of RAM and be stable?

Thanks.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why do you even need 8GB of RAM in the first place? 4GB is more than enough for everyday computing.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion, the reason is because i process a lot of RAW files from a Nikon DSLR and would like more speed.

OP
N
Reaction score
Reaction score
What model is your MBP? Is it a Core2 Duo? When I looked at Crucial it at the lowest model of your processor speed it said 8Gigs.

Reaction score
Oh, I take that back, the earliest model will only support 4Gigs, not 8. If that is your model then that is all it will support.

OP
N
Reaction score
Oh, I take that back, the earliest model will only support 4Gigs, not 8. If that is your model then that is all it will support.

This is the problem, "officially" it only supports 4GB according to apple. But the mid 2009 with the identical motherboard "officially" supports 8GB.

Google and forum searches don't seem to be definitive in answering the question. Some say 4GB is the actual max and it cannot support more some say it will support 6GB and others say with the new EFI version and snow leopard 8GB is supported:Confused:

OP
N
Reaction score
I guess the only way i'll get a definitive answer is if someone who has one of the first 2008 unibody MBP's has tried it and can answer.

Reaction score
Different model number means that something changed and I doubt that it is an identical motherboard in that case. So, I'm going to have to suppor the "official" stand on this. However, there is nothing stopping you from giving more a try. That being said, I doubt it will do much from you on the processing side. I process RAW files all the time on my MB with 4 Gigs and never come close to usnig it. Biggest batch I did was about 100 files with a conversion/copy to JPG. I doubt that extra RAM is going to do a thing for you.

OP
N
Reaction score
Different model number means that something changed and I doubt that it is an identical motherboard in that case. So, I'm going to have to suppor the "official" stand on this. However, there is nothing stopping you from giving more a try. That being said, I doubt it will do much from you on the processing side. I process RAW files all the time on my MB with 4 Gigs and never come close to usnig it. Biggest batch I did was about 100 files with a conversion/copy to JPG. I doubt that extra RAM is going to do a thing for you.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe the money would be better spent on an SSD.

Reaction score
Well, what I would do (if you are already maxed) is get a program like istat menu and watch to see how much memory you are using. Mac is not like Windows with mem usage so if you watch teh bar and it never maxes out then yes, save the coin for a new SSD. If it does max out then you need to investigate further what is happening. There is no need to waste your money on something you may never use. ;)

iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have one of the first unibody Macbook pro's with the 2.53 GHz processor in it. Will the machine take 8GB of RAM and be stable?

If this is the first generation 15" Macbook Pro with a 2.53ghz cpu...then the accurate answer to the max ram for this computer is 6 gig of ram. This notebook has a model ID of "MacBookPro 5,1".

If it's the 2nd generation 15" Macbook Pro with a 2.53ghz cpu...then the accurate answer to the max ram for this computer is 8 gig of ram. This notebook has a model ID of "MacBookPro5,4".

This model ID info can be found by going to:

- Apple menu
- About this Mac
- click on "More Info"
- Look in the "hardware overview"

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's a 5,1 thanks for your help.

You got it...no problem!:) Your Macbook Pro has a 6gig max ram limit (4gig + 2 gig sticks of ram).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.