• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What to buy?

Reaction score
So I received my annual bonus today, so I'm debating whether to buy a 37" lcd HDTV or a refurbed MacBook. What do u guys think?

Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with the TV. You can never have too big of a TV. Can't really go wrong with either, though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So I received my annual bonus today, so I'm debating whether to buy a 37" lcd HDTV or a refurbed MacBook. What do u guys think?

I'd go with the TV if you already have a Mac of some sort. The MacBook is a great machine, but if you're in need of a decent TV, go for that first.

Reaction score
Bry3,

I'm nearly in the same boat. Got a bit of a bonus in January and would like to splurge on some electronics. I was hoping that Steve would announce Leopard and some new Mac hardware soon. If he remains silent much longer, my cash is headed toward the LCD HDTV.

Since I have old technology for both existing computer and TV, I know I can't make a bad decision -- I just can't decide when to hit the BUY button.

If you get the LCD, get the largest screen that you can afford and that will fit in your house/apartment. I have a friend with a 42" plasma and he's always whining that he should have purchased a larger set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Depends on what you really need the most. What kind of computer are you using now, or do you have one? Do you already have a tv and just want a bigger one? Guess if you can't afford an tv and a macbook then you have a hard choice to make. Personally, I spend more time on the computer than the tv. And I agree with papercut, get the largest screen that you can afford and that will fit with your house or apartment. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I love my MacBook, but it would also be nice to have a nice TV. I'd be split if I were in your shoes too. Depends on what computer and what TV you already have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
My thought would be on the computer side. Yet it isn't necessarily an easy decision.

What do you need for computing? What do you want to do? I almost always want more computing equipment, but it's always a bunch of trade-offs. How much more can I do with a new machine, and how much more time will I need to spend managing it? If a new machine is a replacement machine, then the doing and managing is probably not much of an issue. If it's an additional machine, then it's a matter of issues such as when and where are you going to use it, how much will you use it, how are you going to sync data across machines, and how are you going to configure the machine and keep all of the software up-to-date. Easy as some of these things can be in the Mac world, they still take some time and effort. While money can be an issue on some of these (duplicate commercial s/w licenses, for instance), time can be a more onerous expense.

Prior to my new refurbed MacBook, I had 4 machines - two towers, two laptops, all of which are dual boot. Like I really needed another machine and completely different operating system. -_^ So I bought the MacBook anyway.

Go for it. I'd go for the MacBook. Besides, what the heck? This is the Mac-Forums. You mean there's anything we should want outside the Mac?! :mac:

OP
bry3
Reaction score
So I decided to buy the LCD tv. I ended up going w/ a 37" Vizio VX37 tv. I've been reading up on it for the past 3 weeks. and everything I've read was positive. I got it for $899 at costco. So far, I've been pleased with it. I can't wait til my HD programming is turned on. Oh playing DVDs are frickin' awesome on it too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I've looked into Vizio's and that seems like a good deal. I kinda wanted to get one too since they are such a high quality set for the price but north central Illinois, for some reason, cannot have a Costco anywhere. I guess I could go to Sam's club though.

OP
bry3
Reaction score
I've looked into Vizio's and that seems like a good deal. I kinda wanted to get one too since they are such a high quality set for the price but north central Illinois, for some reason, cannot have a Costco anywhere. I guess I could go to Sam's club though.

Yeah they have them at Sam's too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.