Employee Discounts

Reaction score
I have been talking to this woman who claims her husband gets a discount on iPhones because he works at Apple. However, they have 11 iPhone 5's, and they're expecting more in August. Am I being scammed?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have been talking to this woman who claims her husband gets a discount on iPhones because he works at Apple. However, they have 11 iPhone 5's, and they're expecting more in August. Am I being scammed?

To be honest...I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what you're trying to say or infer.

What do...employee discounts...this woman you talked to...and them having 11 iPhones have anything to do with your situation?? And how are you being scammed??:Confused:

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I was planning on buying a couple from her for my husband and sister. I just want to know if it's possible that she could be lying to me and trying to sell me fake iPhones.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Have them go into Settings->General->About and scroll down to the Serial Number. Get two of them and enter it into https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do and it should report back that it's a iPhone 5 and so on..

How much are they selling these iPhones for? Are they fully unlocked? Being an employee of Apple might get this person a discount, but not enough to randomly purchase a lot of iPhones for sale..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Like Raz0rEdge mentioned...I don't think that Apple would allow any employee to purchase 11 iPhones with an employee discount. This would simply be a "red flag" that someone is up to no good.

These iPhones could be fakes or they could be real. But the story about them (11 of them) being purchased via employee discount sounds a bit "fishy" to me.

If you're interested...here's an article that provides a bunch of info regarding Apple employee discounts:

Apple Improves Employee Discount Program

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be very very careful.

Things that sound a little too good to be true..usually are!

C

chas_m

I smell stolen.

To be specific: Apple employee discounts are not bad, but are limited to a certain amount every three (or is it two? I forget) years. In short, there is no possible way he legally got "an employee discount" on 11 iPhones. A "five finger" discount is far more likely, but of course I'm not there and don't know that. But as harryb says ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1, PBG4 17", iBook G3(366 Indigo), iPad Air (16G), iPhone 4(8GB).
Not to mention their hottest products don't get the discount. iPhone falls in this category. Typically, the latest iPads do as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.