I re-installed OS X 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
OK, a couple of weeks back I posted about boot-up performance on my MacBook becoming worse and worse, with firefox taking 40 bounces to launch around a minute after boot up. I decided to format and re-install (Windows style).

Obviously, there has been a huge performance increase immediately after the new install. Everything worked fine from the backup (although Parallels insisted on creating a new virtual machine, despite there being one in the library from backup) firefox launched in 4 bounes, Safari in 2 and a Parallels Windows session restores in about 5 seconds from cold (previously it was more than a minute).

I've pretty much reinstalled everything I had before apart from a few freeware demos I had previously.

I think the reason it was a bit broken before was because when I 1st got my Mac, I installed almost every app possible, just to 'try' it and then ended up deleting them, which I guess left a lot of rubbish around on the HDD.

M

MacHeadCase

AppZapper, zoolook. Me loves AppZapper. :)

Too bad about having to re-install, man. Had you previously had a go at cleaning out the caches and all that?

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
AppZapper, zoolook. Me loves AppZapper. :)

Too bad about having to re-install, man. Had you previously had a go at cleaning out the caches and all that?

I did - I ran the scripts, Mac Janitor, Onyx etc... nothing helped... :[ I think it was a seriously fragged HDD (don't believe what you read that this doesn't happen on Macs). One system file had over 1,500 fragments... :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have to agree about App Zapper here. I've only recently become a fan though.

I have learned form experience that every Mac I buy for my use (not my families use) that I simply reinstall the OS from scratch out of the box. That way I can avoid a lot of the junk I don't want and can only have the stuff I need vice what Apple shoves on there by default.

So far it has worked out pretty good and I will do the same when I get my MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've been using AppDelete since I first got my Macbook and it's been running as great as it did on day one (actually, it's running faster because of the RAM upgrade, but that's besides the point :p).

I don't think I have ever removed a program by simply dragging it into the Trash...

M

MacHeadCase

I did - I ran the scripts, Mac Janitor, Onyx etc... nothing helped... :[ I think it was a seriously fragged HDD (don't believe what you read that this doesn't happen on Macs). One system file had over 1,500 fragments... :Oops:

Ouch!... :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.