upgrades for 933 g4

Reaction score
I've got a 933 g4 in the garage and was wondering if there are any cheap upgrades worth doing? It has 1.25 gigs of ram, upgradeable to 1.5 so i'll do that. But a question on ram I have 2 512's and a 256, one of the 512 is ecc is there a possibility that is giving me a performance hit? This computer is only used as to listen to itunes and light surfing in the garage so I'm not expecting anything major for performance increase, but any little bit will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I bought the same setup a while back, and really the only things worth touching are the RAM and HDDs. The processor, video card, and other central components aren't really worth the cost to upgrade, because the mother board will always be the bottleneck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You can do quite a bit via the PCI slots ... 4 - 64-bit 33 MHz PCI, 1 - 4x AGP. That last one may already be occupied for the video out, but you could try a faster, better graphics card in one of the empty PCI slots.

You can upgrade to USB2 via a PCI card as well, not expensive.

There are 4 - internal 3.5" ATA drive bays, 1 - optical drive bay, and 1 - Zip 250 bay. Plenty of potential there, but it'd be more a hobby exercise than anything.

I agree with Jeff, the processor is what you're stuck with, and an upgrade with a ZIF card would cost you more than the G4 is worth, giving you minimal speed increase into the bargain!

Check Accelerate Your Macintosh!, also Low End Mac: Worth It!, for further advice about upgrading older PowerMac machines.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've got a 933 g4 in the garage and was wondering if there are any cheap upgrades worth doing?

Depends on what you consider "cheap"!;) Define cheap?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.