Applying Icons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
So, I just got some new icons that look really cool. I have one for Safari, iChat, and Garageband. But I cant drag them into the dock, and if I double click them, it says it doesnt have an application to open it with. How do I apply these icons?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Right click on the icon you would like to use and select "copy"

find the actual Application (say Garageband) in the Application Folder.

Right click on it and select "Get Info".. or select the application with 1 click and press Apple+I

click on the current icon in the top of the Info window that appears, it will have a very slight blue around it to show it is selected... now press Apple+V (paste)... and close the window.. Viola!

To go back the the default icon... in the get info window, select the icon, then press Apple+X (cut).. or just press the Delete key.

Reaction score
YOU can change any icon by going into get info, and pasting the new icon over the old one. Some system icons like the trash and safari require more work to change the icon. Candy bar makes it easy.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
YOU can change any icon by going into get info, and pasting the new icon over the old one.

What file format must these icons be in? GIF? JPG? a.n.other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
What file format must these icons be in? GIF? JPG? a.n.other?

I've found that pretty much anything works... I have used images directly from the web as icons.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I've found that pretty much anything works... I have used images directly from the web as icons.

Cool, thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
While we're at it...

Does Candybar do anything differently than the usual copy/paste method? Candybar doesn't see my Windows partition volume for some reason so I had to copy/paste the icon for it. I changed the Macintosh HD icon in Candybar just fine. The problem is, when I boot up via Boot Camp and hold alt to choose, only the Macintosh HD has changed, not the Windows HD. Anyone know what else I can try to get the icon to change so that I see it at boot up as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.