MP3 formats

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have been having issues with some mp3s that I have been trying to import into the new iTunes, where when I try to drag them into the program or double click on them, nothing happens and/or it doesn't show up in my playlist. I have to drag them into Audacity, export as an mp3, and then it goes in and works fine. What could be the issue here?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Where did you get the MP3's from? Perhaps they are encoded poorly and Audacity is clearly fixing it up..

Regards

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Some of them are promo songs my one friend records on his computer with Seratto DJ software.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm not familiar with that software, perhaps it's doing something funky with it's MP3 generation..perhaps your fiend should encode using some standard tool as well after Seratto is doing with it?

Regards

C

chas_m

It is entirely possible (seen this before) that your friend is not making MP3s at all, just adding the extension MP3 to the end of the file in the expectation that that alone will "magically" turn them into MP3s.

Next time you get one of these, open one of these (unfixed) MP3s in VLC and get info on the file to see what audio codecs is ACTUALLY being used. Then we'll be able to make suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.