application for read PC-formatted storage media on Mac

Reaction score
I have a few media devices such as external hard drives, flash drives, an ipod, etc. Some are formated for PC, others for Mac. It would be really convenient if there was an applications out there that could interface between a device formatted for one platform and a computer expecting a different format. In other words, an application that would be installed on my PC that would allow me to plug in my Mac-formatted ipod and be able to read it. And of course, an application that would be installed on my Mac that would allow me to plug in my PC-formatted hard drive and be able to read it.

Is there such a thing? Can it be downloaded/installed for free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
OSX can READ FAT, FAT32, NTFS.
OSX can write to FAT, FAT32.

The iPod uses iTunes, available for both Mac and PC. You do not directly access an iPod unless it has been hacked, in which case it depends on what you hacked it with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The mac will not have a problem with PC formatted media, see above

For the PC to read Mac formatted disk try MacDrive

MacDrive « Mediafour

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The mac will not have a problem with PC formatted media, see above

For the PC to read Mac formatted disk try MacDrive

MacDrive « Mediafour

Another option is to get Paragon NTFS for Mac, which will give you full read/write support for NTFS. Additionally, it comes with a driver to R/W to Mac volumes from Windows.

OP
G
Reaction score
OSX can READ FAT, FAT32, NTFS.
OSX can write to FAT, FAT32.

The iPod uses iTunes, available for both Mac and PC. You do not directly access an iPod unless it has been hacked, in which case it depends on what you hacked it with.

I know I can access my ipod on my Mac like a flash drive. If I try to do this on my PC (right-click > explore) it tells me it is not formatted (for PC).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
MacFuse will have you reading AND writing to NTFS drives on your Mac for free.

I put it on my Mac Pro last month so I could shift around a bunch of data and reformat a drive and it works like a charm!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem with MacFuse is that the free version has been buggy. The pay version works fine according to user reports. I don't know about the latest version of MacFuse though. Maybe someone who is using it can comment. However, another free way to read and write to NTFS if you're using Snow Leopard is NTFSMounter.

Also, there are some reports that Lion will natively be able to read and write to NTFS formatted drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
The problem with MacFuse is that the free version has been buggy. The pay version works fine according to user reports. I don't know about the latest version of MacFuse though. Maybe someone who is using it can comment.
As I mentioned above, I just used the free version. Copied hundreds of gb to and from the drive and it worked perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I had to see what you were talking about gib65, mine acknowledges but just shows as an empty drive.. But yes Mac Drive or xplay (as Loushen said) but it's not free.. Products « Mediafour, here also is some good advice... Mac iPod on Windows? - The macosxhints Forums it's an older thread but there might be other alternatives out there by now..

My advice would be to copy all to your mac 'before' you try the method on the 6th post..

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.