Google Maps for iOS seems imminent ...

C

chas_m

Geez, MacNN reported that a few WEEKS ago!

Google iOS Maps app screens said to have leaked | Electronista

It will be interesting to see if Apple lets it into the App Store.

The whole reason they broke with Google in the first place was Google's REFUSAL to include turn-by-turn in the previous (Apple-built but Google-powered) Maps app. Saying "oh wait here's an iOS 6 Maps app with turn-by-turn" would seem to me to prove that they were being deceptive, especially after claiming to have been "caught off guard" by this decision (a flat-out lie).

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If anything, I'm willing to bet that either Tim made a deal with Google in order to appease iOS users or that Google is being more flexible because they want a wider user base. They never wanted things to go down this way, but Apple refused to let them have the user base info, which would have been part of the deal.

Either way, it makes iOS users happy in the interim. I'm just curious to know what will happen when Apple's Maps app catches up to Google maps. Will they toss it out of the App Store etc..

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Saying "oh wait here's an iOS 6 Maps app with turn-by-turn" would seem to me to prove that they were being deceptive, especially after claiming to have been "caught off guard" by this decision (a flat-out lie).
Deception implies that Google couldn't do it and I don't think it was hidden fact that they just didn't want to instead (so as to privilege Android).

Caught off guard? Depends how you read it. I'd say that ending a contract prematurely certainly lends credence to the notion that they were caught off guard. Whether or not that's the case is a different story (not being privy to the internal discussions between the two companies, I don't know) but arguing that it's a flat out lie when evidence points to the contrary is suspect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.