iPad stylus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
I want to get a stylus for note-taking on the iPad but I have found/heard mixed reviews. I plan to use it for apps such as iAnnotate, Penultimate, etc.

What stylus do you have or recommend? Do they work well? Does it create a problem if other parts of your hand touch the screen while writing? Do they feel similar to a pen? Does it write like a fine tip or a fat marker?

All advice is appreciated. TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I think I will pick one of these up unless someone knows of a better one. Pogo Sketch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Leiya... With an App like penultimate they have a really cool algorithm that they call "wrist protection" whichnin essence means that it will automatically detect where your wrist is and ignore the input from it. It actually works pretty well.

Also, for most apps the thickness of the line is choosable through the app itself to give you a wide range of lines, same goes for colors and paper background.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Mina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
Ask your FedEx Express driver if you can "borrow" his stylus. not at all elegant but should do the job.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I want to get a stylus for note-taking on the iPad but I have found/heard mixed reviews. I plan to use it for apps such as iAnnotate, Penultimate, etc.

What stylus do you have or recommend? Do they work well? Does it create a problem if other parts of your hand touch the screen while writing? Do they feel similar to a pen? Does it write like a fine tip or a fat marker?

i picked up the pogo - which is regarded (at least from I had read) as one of the better ones available. It works just fine - but to me, IMO, the experience still isn't such that I can replace a regular notebook in a meeting. I do wonder if the faster processor in the iPad 2 might improve handwriting performance - as I find if I try to right normally -it lags, won't keep up...etc. At any rate - the pogo stylus is just fine - but I have yet to find a note taking application (and I have tried many) that performs sufficiently to allow me to integrate the iPad into my everyday productivity workflow. But - I expect that day will be here eventually. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

FWIW a carrot will work as a stylus (I got bored one day at lunch and ran some food related experiments) and you can always use it as an after-note snack when you're done. :D

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Thanks for the advice!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I use a iPad stylus that I purchased at Best Buy by Targus. Seems very similar to the linked one, so I'm sure it's fine.
i picked up the pogo - which is regarded (at least from I had read) as one of the better ones available. It works just fine - but to me, IMO, the experience still isn't such that I can replace a regular notebook in a meeting. I do wonder if the faster processor in the iPad 2 might improve handwriting performance - as I find if I try to right normally -it lags, won't keep up...etc. At any rate - the pogo stylus is just fine - but I have yet to find a note taking application (and I have tried many) that performs sufficiently to allow me to integrate the iPad into my everyday productivity workflow. But - I expect that day will be here eventually. :)
What app do you use for taking notes that you notice lag? I use Notes Plus, and even doing fast scribbles it seems to keep up just fine.
FWIW a carrot will work as a stylus (I got bored one day at lunch and ran some food related experiments) and you can always use it as an after-note snack when you're done. :D
Do you know any good reviews on carrots?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
What app do you use for taking notes that you notice lag? I use Notes Plus, and even doing fast scribbles it seems to keep up just fine.

Do you know any good reviews on carrots?

I'll have to get back to you on this. I can give you a listing of the note apps I've tried - but I don't have my stylus with me (am up in Boston this week) and would want to do a double check with that to make sure I described the symptom accurately. I haven't tried carrots yet. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.