Changing System's 'Computer' icon...

pod

Reaction score
How do I change my OS X Tiger G4 iBook's 'Computer' icon? (found under 'Go' off the desktop's top menu bar and also seen in the sidebar of Finder windows).

Currently for some reason it shows a G4 iMac icon (the old 'snowball' iMac). I'd like to change it to an iBook icon if possible.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I'm not sure that it can be changed easily, AFAIK the system looks at your machine type and then chooses an icon out of the CoreTypes package.
In my case it's at /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/com.apple.macbookpro-15-unibody.icns

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
Thanks. If its going to be a pain to change it, I'll forget it.

Incidentally, I can only get as far as 'System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle'. When trying to progress to 'Contents/Resources' I get the message 'there is no default application specified to open the document CoreTypes.bundle'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Thanks. If its going to be a pain to change it, I'll forget it.

Incidentally, I can only get as far as 'System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle'. When trying to progress to 'Contents/Resources' I get the message 'there is no default application specified to open the document CoreTypes.bundle'.

You have to right click -> Explore or Open... I forget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Oh yeah, thanks s2odin. Its right click and "View Package Contents"

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
Thanks s2odin. Right, I'm in and can see the 'imac.icns' file.

Is it just a case of copying an existing iBook icon in to/over the existing iMac one that shows at the top of the 'get info' window?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Yes that should do the trick of pasting it in the Get Info window. Click on the icon and you will see a blue hora around the icon, then you can press command v to paste it in.

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
''Yes that should do the trick''

Nope. That particular icon seems to be locked/uneditable...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
*Proceed with caution!

In the info window, click on the lock at the bottom and type in your admin password,
change "everyone" rights to "read and write",
replace icon at top of info window,
change "everyone" rights back to "read",
click lock at bottom and close info window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.