MacBook Pro Memory Update worth it?

Reaction score
I have a mid 2010 macbook pro 13 inch, 2.4 GHz core 2 duo currently with 4gb ram and running loin.

I often have several applications open in fullscreen mode; iTunes, mail, safari + lots of tabs, with no problem at all. More recently i have started to use iMovie, aperture also and i have noticed that everything slows down.. i know this is obviously because cpu and memory are being used up, but what i want to know is will i notice a considerable difference in performance when running these applications along with everything else if i update to 8gb? or is it the processor which is limiting me?

I have roughly 40-50gb space remaining on my 500gb hdd thanks in advance
Gaz

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you should notice a difference for two reasons:

1. 8 GB of system memory means your integrated graphics chipset (Intel HD 3000) will be able to borrow up to 512MB rather than the normal 256MB.

2. More system memory = better performance for games and other CPU intensive applications.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have roughly 40-50gb space remaining on my 500gb hdd thanks in advance
Gaz

You might want to keep an eye on this. Your HD is 90%+ full...let the HD get too full...and things will begin to slow down. Let the HD get completely full...and you won't be able to use the computer.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
yeh i have done this in the past... not keeping an eye on my downloads etc. especially since the remaining disk space is no longer at the bottom of the finder windows. iv started to use isat pro widget now to keep an eye on things, i would recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Memory is like money... If you have no problem getting it (LEGALLY :D) then you can never have "to much of it."

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
. . . especially since the remaining disk space is no longer at the bottom of the finder windows. iv started to use isat pro widget now to keep an eye on things, i would recommend it.

That is a great widget but if you prefer to have drive space at the bottom of the Finder window you can still do that easily. Open a Finder window, go to the View menu and choose Show Status Bar (Command+/).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Yes, you should notice a difference for two reasons:

1. 8 GB of system memory means your integrated graphics chipset (Intel HD 3000) will be able to borrow up to 512MB rather than the normal 256MB.

2. More system memory = better performance for games and other CPU intensive applications.

Thanks for that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I bumped up my 13" MBP from 4GB to 8GB and it made a big difference in speed. It's definitely worth the $$ for the upgrade.

Reaction score
Yea, more ram is so cheap these days and the ease of installing the new sticks is so simple. It's a great way of getting more out of your machine. I bought my first notebook ever in Nov (mbp) and went the owc route for 50usd (a bit more $), best $50 upgrade.

Not only will you gain extra multi-tasking performance, but your hd3000 graphics memory increases to 512mb from 384mb when going from 4gb->8gb of system ram.

OP
G
Reaction score
sweet il definitely get onto it then.. is there anything else i can do to improve performance? might be a stupid question but its worth a shot..

Reaction score
Im pretty new to the osx and macs since I got mine in November but you can turn off animations when opening and minimizing windows and apps.

Repairing disk permissions using disk utility, set the dock to 2d w/o bouncing animation (I like this a lot since they add a little dot under open apps, good for lots of dock items and seeing whats open at a glance).

Also there is an app called Onyx, I use it occasionally for clearing out logs and caches. Though Im not sure I need this app since osx takes pretty good care of itself. I used this to change the dock, it also can purge memory to free up inactive ram for you to use.

Hardware wise the only other upgrade you can do is get a faster spinning HDD or a SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5.6
Also looking at upgrading my ram from 4 to 8gb in my 2011 Macbook Pro.

Any makes to consider over other or any to avoid.?

Cheers,

Tyler

Reaction score
Corsair, Crucial, Samsung, G.Skill, OWC, Kingston are all great memory makers. I chose OWC and it's been great.

Komputerbay has ram kits for 16gb, the cheapest kit afaik but I have not heard of them before.

OP
G
Reaction score
i have a friend who works in a mac store and he said all the guys there use crucial memory, i found some for £33 which was the best price i could find so thats what iv ordered. But i would imagine any of those above would be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.